What's new
World Wide Stereo

Questions, Carver-TFM-15, Adcom-GFA-535, AudioSource-Amp 2 (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
For those that may have heard all of the 2-channel amps mentioned or 2 of the 3, curious as to your take on any of the Amps mentioned...

Which might you prefer driving (2-channel full range audio) for SQ at med to moderate volumes?

There are so many variables that effect SQ. The Pre, the Transport, the Material being played, the Speakers being driven, and of course the room & it's size.

All these amps have been reviewed and received high marks as excellent preforming pieces.
I belive all are very decent quailty amps, with the AS-Amp2 being a unbelivable sleeper according the many reviews I've read.

Carvers~TFM-15-->not 15CB
Adcoms~GFA-535-->not 535II
AudioS~Amp Two-->not Amp1 with meters

Given a choice which Amp would you take if you "had to pick one" and why you may feel that way?

Any input good, bad, or other, would be very appreciated..I left speakers being driven and all other variables out on purpose.
Picking an amp from the Amps ruputation as an all round good performer with all other variables left out,,, as they can always change & usually do in time.

Thanks
Geoff

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I've done quite a bit of research recently in the range you are considering. My first thought was the adcom (60wpc) but went with the audiosource amp one instead. They seem to sell for less and are rated at 80wpc, 200wpc bridged which is how I use them (I have 3). Really there is no difference in the AS-amp1 w/ meters and the amp2 except the amp2's are more expensive and a little newer. I have no complaints w/ the audiosources's. Of the three you mentioned I don't think there would be a night and day difference between any of them. I also recently bought an Onkyo M-401 (150wpc) which is very nice and in the same price range. At these prices I don't see how you could go wrong. They are a definite improvement over your receivers's amps and are cheap. Plus, if you decide to get rid of them you can basically get what you paid for them.

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I have used the Adcom in an audio only system about ten years ago. Considering you can pick these up used all day long for under $200 I would choose those. I think they are a good value, I think the main advantage you get with going with 535 is it is actually a dual mono design with seperate power supplies. This makes it a very healty 60 wpc vs. typical reciever power. I do not have any experience with the other amps you mentioned. But I have used several Adcom units over the years and you can always count on them for performance and value.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Geoff, I listened to the Amp One and it is definitely a good value (I don't know how it is any different from the Amp Two)... anyway, can you define 'medium to moderate' levels? And what kind of speakers do you have? That's really important in choosing an amplifier.

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff,

I'm using a pair of Adcom amps in my system (GFA-555II @ 200 wpc for left & right; and GFA 2535 for center @ 200 wpc and surrounds @ 60 wpc). I have had the GFA-555II since 1991, use it everyday, and have not had a single problem with it. The GFA 2535 is essentially two GFA 535's in one chasis, where one of the stero pairs can be bridged to 200 watts.

I remember reading reviews of the GFA-535 way-back-when in Audio magazine. I recall the author stating that the 535 was very conservatively rated at 60 wpc. Audio magazine measured something like 80 some wpc.

In any case, all three amps are high quality and should serve you well. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Anthony

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thank guys for your input, and many of my thoughts basically mimic yours.

Michael
I left the speakers & equipment out on purpose. I explained why in the first post.
The speaks mentioned below are what the Amp would be driving NOW, but could change in time also. The type sound I prefer in a speak, most likely "won't".

Wharf EM-MKIV-99
6-ohm load 89db 1w/1m

Bedroom size, closed 16'x19'x8'

SPL med to moderate for me, means peeks of 98 99db or so, max! Most of the time it would be in the low 90's peek range, or even lower. Just depends on the mood, you know....;)
Also a Sealed DIY-SVS sub may be used now and then for 2-channel.
80/20%-->with sub

All the Amps mentioned would have no problem driving the load. I don't think I could go wrong with any of them as already mentioned....

The Wharf speaks have a detailed but somewhat laid back approach in presenting the high end and drop down to a solid 24Hz in room, before begining to roll off.
Typical of many Britt born speaks, I prefer this high end sound to the some times much more forward sound of metal or horn tweets. Not that those can not be done to sound great or even similar, cause they certainly can. And good silk domes can be made to sound quite ugly or unruly also.

The business end of the older Amp-1 is the same as the current Amp-2 just a few little extras on the newer 2.

I have not listened to any of the amps mentioned yet, but have read a allot on the Carver and AS-2 and a bit less on the Adcom. They all seem to get excellent marks, they put out more juice than rated, pretty versatile in that they are bridgeable, will drive all but the toughest load, 2-3db of real headroom, are built well, and seem to continue to stand the test of time, as one reviewer said.

Thanks again for the replies guys and looking forward to any input others may have.

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks