Replacing Adcom GCD-575 (cheaply?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent Hutto, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

Aug 30, 2001
    This isn't really a "home theater" question since I listen to music in a different room but I'd like some advice...

One of the RCA output jacks on my CD player (a late 80's model) has been flaky for the last five years or so. I have to jiggle it more and more frequently to keep the left channel going. I'm not inclined to try and fix a CD player of that vintage so I want an inexpensive replacement. For most electronics, you'd expect for $200-something or so you ought to be able to find a replacement that would work "better" than a $300-somthing one designed 15 years earlier. Is this true for CD players? If so, would it be something I could find in a Crutchfield catalog or similar? The main requirement (other than a front-panel volume control and variable output) is that it sound natural and uncolored on acoustic stringed instruments.

The rest of this message contains the details of my music setup. For listening to music I use the following equipment:

a/d/s L620 (huge 2-way "bookshelf" speakers) c. 1979
    Adcom GCD-575 CD player bought used c. 1990
    Adcom GFA-535II amplifier bought new c. 1990

I run the output of the CD player directly into the power amplifier, no preamp. I use the volume control on the front of the CD player. The room is 12'x17' with hardwood floors and large opening on both short walls (foyer on one end, dining room on the other). This is a very bright-sounding room with not a whole lot of furniture in it. I listen to 90% acoustic music, bluegrass and classical music with solo string instruments. The remainder is 80's and early 90's pop music like R.E.M. or Dire Straits.

Overall, I like the sound of my audio equipment. For acoustic music and especially vocal music it sounds very open and natrual and doesn't impart any particular coloration. Some people would find it lacking bottom end but it's very natural sounding on anything except maybe being a bit wimpy on heavy percussion or electric bass (which I don't listen to much anyway). If I have a complaint it's that the sound is a bit thin. Not bright or edgy, it just exaggerates the rather plain-jane production values of many of my CD's. That shouldn't really be a property of the CD player, though.
  2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mar 28, 2000
    Brent, are you looking for a single-disc player or a carousel changer? There are few single-disc players available today for less than $300 these days. Two single-disc units you might consider are the Cambridge Audio D300SE or the NAD C 521i. See for more on the D300SE and for more on the C 521i. For a good price on the NAD player, check Sound City at 1-800-370-3156. They are an authorized NAD dealer and discount quite substantially. I've ordered a few NAD amps through them and have been quite pleased with them.
    Some carousel changers to consider in your price range are as follows:
    * Sony CDP-CA70ES: Comes with a five-year warranty in the US. See for more information, but call Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770) for a better price. All three are authorized dealers.
    * Marantz CC4300: I have not used this player, as it is a relatively new model. However, Marantz generally makes a good changer for the money.
    * Denon DCM-280: I have not used this model either, as it came out within the last month. It is upgraded over its predecessor, the '270. For example, the '270 had no digital outputs, but the '280 has a coaxial digital output. Crutchfield sells the '280 for $200. For $300, check out the Denon '380. It is similar to the '280 but adds HDCD decoding. I have the '370, which preceded the '380. The two players are very similar. The '370 was a solid buy for the $250 I paid brand new. Crutchfield also has the '380. If you have a Tweeter store in your area, they may have the '280 and '380 as well. They had the '270 and '370.
    * Sony SCD-C222ES: The 'C222ES retails for $500, but you should be able to get it for around $350 through J&R, Oade Bros., or OneCall. The 'C222ES is an excellent CD player, and build quality is quite good for the money. In addition, the 'C222ES plays both stereo and multi-channel SACDs, which is a great bonus. In case you are not aware, SACDs sound better than CDs. See for more on SACD. Also see for more on the 'C222ES.
    I hope this information helps you. Best of luck in your search for a new player.