What's new

Questions about HTR-5560 (1 Viewer)

larry h.

Auditioning
I just bought a Yamaha HTR-5560 receiver from Best Buy today since I had a ton of gift cards and got a great open box deal on it. I currently own a technics SA-DX940 that I have had for about 3 years. The technics has done a good job but now I'm craving better sound. I just feel like my technics is a little flat. I guess I'm thinking that the techinics was so cheap that it can't be as good as a yamaha. Will there be a noticeable difference with this Yamaha or am I just wasting my $300 (mostly gift cards) on it?

Also, if I want the original sound from the dvd and not have the receiver make any changes to it such as that matrix thing ( which I don't really understand), do I leave the setting to normal?

Last question, the rear center channel speaker, should that be a regular satelite speaker or should it be similiar to my front center channel speaker.

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

The default for Dolby Digital and Pro Logic will be just a "normal" setting. You have to use the remote to change to other DSP modes.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think if I were you, I would just buy a quality 6.1 / 7.1 Reciever. Then upgrade the subwoofer and speakers slowly down the road.

It takes about $500 to assemble a really top notch performing complete HT sound system minimum.

Dan DeLion

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I can only say that I bought the HTR-5560 in 2002 for a substantially larger price. EVERYONE goes "WOW" whenever they see, or should I say hear, the system. It has a wonderful sound. Quick setup is always touted, but in my experience, nothing good comes fast. Experiment with all of the settings, and there are many. I have determined that a particular setting is awesome and then a year later tweaked it to new heights. A solid performer. I use The Large Advent Loudspeaker as my main channels. For the other 4 surround channels I use the Linaeum Pro LX-5s. Incredible sound. There is a generic KLH 10" subwoofer, but with the right gain and crossover, it blends seamlessly. I use the second "B" speaker output to power 4 sets of speakers through a multi-pair, impedance balanced, selector switch. The whole house, and outside, rocks. I am not an "audiophile"; I just know what sounds good to me. All of the speakers I use are 8 ohms nominal impedance. WALL-E is 6.1, check it out. The Matrix function is when you have a 5.1 audio input and you want to “enhance” it to 6.1. At ALL times use Pro Logic 2, as it will synthesize surround sound from a two channel input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks