Questions about HTR-5560

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by larry h., Jan 7, 2004.

1. larry h.

larry h. Auditioning

I just bought a Yamaha HTR-5560 receiver from Best Buy today since I had a ton of gift cards and got a great open box deal on it. I currently own a technics SA-DX940 that I have had for about 3 years. The technics has done a good job but now I'm craving better sound. I just feel like my technics is a little flat. I guess I'm thinking that the techinics was so cheap that it can't be as good as a yamaha. Will there be a noticeable difference with this Yamaha or am I just wasting my $300 (mostly gift cards) on it?

Also, if I want the original sound from the dvd and not have the receiver make any changes to it such as that matrix thing ( which I don't really understand), do I leave the setting to normal?

Last question, the rear center channel speaker, should that be a regular satelite speaker or should it be similiar to my front center channel speaker.

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie!

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

The default for Dolby Digital and Pro Logic will be just a "normal" setting. You have to use the remote to change to other DSP modes.

3. John S

John S Producer

I think if I were you, I would just buy a quality 6.1 / 7.1 Reciever. Then upgrade the subwoofer and speakers slowly down the road.

It takes about $500 to assemble a really top notch performing complete HT sound system minimum.

4. Dan DeLion

Dan DeLion Auditioning

I can only say that I bought the HTR-5560 in 2002 for a substantially larger price. EVERYONE goes "WOW" whenever they see, or should I say hear, the system. It has a wonderful sound. Quick setup is always touted, but in my experience, nothing good comes fast. Experiment with all of the settings, and there are many. I have determined that a particular setting is awesome and then a year later tweaked it to new heights. A solid performer. I use The Large Advent Loudspeaker as my main channels. For the other 4 surround channels I use the Linaeum Pro LX-5s. Incredible sound. There is a generic KLH 10" subwoofer, but with the right gain and crossover, it blends seamlessly. I use the second "B" speaker output to power 4 sets of speakers through a multi-pair, impedance balanced, selector switch. The whole house, and outside, rocks. I am not an "audiophile"; I just know what sounds good to me. All of the speakers I use are 8 ohms nominal impedance. WALL-E is 6.1, check it out. The Matrix function is when you have a 5.1 audio input and you want to “enhance” it to 6.1. At ALL times use Pro Logic 2, as it will synthesize surround sound from a two channel input.