What's new

Question about 6.1 (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_K

Agent
I have a Yamaha HTR-5560 A/V receiver. I have all 6 speakers set up in the way recommended. The Lord of the Rings DVD that I got for Christmas will not play in the 6.1 format. It says "6.1 ES Surround" in the setup, but the list here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=dtses

says it's both ES and EX.

My questions are: Can EX (matrixed) do ES (discrete)? Do I have somthing set wrong on my receiver? Will I only be able to listen to 5.1? Is the list wrong? What does "ES-Compatible" (as it says on the Yamaha website) mean?

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Make sure your DVD player is set to pass a DTS signal. Then when you choose DTS in the LOTR's menu you should get 6.1 discreet if your Yammy does auto sense. You may have to check your receivers setup menu.;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What does "ES-Compatible" (as it says on the Yamaha website) mean?
I believe it means that the Yamaha does not actually decode the discrete center rear channel. Instead, it uses the matrixed information, just as it does for DD EX. Any product that has true 6.1 discrete decoding will say so in no uncertain terms.

M.

Jeffrey_K

Agent
I get no sound when I chose 6.1 in my setup. Could it be my DVD player as suggested? Its that new Sony 615 5 disc one. I will look at the options availble.

I guess I'm just not getting the whole 6.1 thing! :frowning:

Thanks for your responses.

Jeffrey_K

Agent
Well I found out what was wrong. While troubleshooting by reading the manual ("When all else fails, read the directions"), I ran across this nice, little blurb:

"The AUDIO jacks are available for a video component which does not have optical digital output jack. However, multi-channel reproduction cannot be obtained with audio signals input from AUDIO jacks."

OK. Perhaps this is obvious to some, common sense to others, and validation that careful reading of the manaul is a must to the rest. But it would have been nice if they had made this more obvious. No digital or optical cable came with any of my components.

Oh, well, live and learn.

Thanks for all of your help anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks