Receiver and Speaker Assistance

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ChipD, Nov 6, 2003.

1. ChipD

ChipD Extra

Nov 5, 2003
    I am looking to buy my first home entertainment system and am looking for some assistance. I am interested in buying a receiver and speakers, and would like to keep the total price around $2000 - $3000. Please see my questions below…

I would like to buy a solid receiver that will last me a long time. I am willing to spend more money if a receiver is worth it over the cheaper models. Since this is my first system, I want to make it a worthwhile purchase. Any suggestions? Below is a list of misc Yamaha receivers that I’ve read about (I'm open to any brand someone would recommend - is yamaha considered the best?). What are the differences between these receivers? For example, the htr-5540 is considerably cheaper than the rx-v1400. Why would I want one over the other? Htr 5650 vs. 5560? There are some many to choose from and I’m not sure where to start. Any information would be helpful.

With speakers, I have even less of an idea of what to look for. I want speakers that will sound good with music or movies. How much should I expect to pay for a good set of speakers (see above: last a long time, spend more money if necessary, make it a worthwhile purchase)? Any suggestions on brands or specific speaker sets? Once again, any suggestions or misc info would be helpful.

Some sets I’ve read about:

Klipsch Reference Package (rf-3,rc-3,rs-3,ksw-12)
    Definitive Tech BP2006LT Package
    NHT Super Audio System
    Paradigm System 3
    Polk Audio RM7200 System

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    okay chip - first and foremost, have you read the beginner's faq? i think you'll get a lot of info from that. 3k is a definitely doable budget - does that include a tv and dvd player?

i don't have opinions on the specific models you listed, but i'll just babble a little.

really, all receivers these days pretty much do the same thing. if i were in your shoes, i would put more emphasis on speakers than the receiver. receiver technology changes so often, but speaker's don't.

some brands to consider include (in no particular order): yamaha, pioneer, denon, onkyo, sony es, and outlaw audio ( any of those brands will yield a decent cost/performance ratio.

don't put too much emphasis on specs. most of them are (at best) suspect anyway. check out the receiver for features you'll like. do you like the way it feels? do you like how the menu system works? is the remote backlit? do you like the led displays...are they too bright or not bright enough? believe me..those are the kinds of things that will enhance (or destroy) your enjoyment of the unit - especially on a day-to-day basis.

consider whether you're going for 5.1 or 6.1 sound. if so, does the receiver have a built-in amp for the 6th channel? or do you need an external amp?

my *golden rule* about auditioning speakers: if you like them, then that is all that matters. remember that sound is subjective. i may say speaker-x sounds like crap, but you may love the way they sound. who is wrong? obviously neither of us - it's just personal perception.

listen to as many speakers as you can. both within and beyond your budget. you want to get an idea of what different speakers sound like, so you can develop a baseline of speaker characteristics. do you like bright speakers or boomy ones?

if i had to balance my budget, i would give a little more towards the speakers. as i already stated, you'll probably change out your electronics before you change out your speakers.

man...did i ramble enough? [​IMG]

hope that helps...if you have more q's - just ask!