What's new

Questions about Ebay? (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I very confused and frustrated right now. I cannot figure out if I can set a reserve price for my sale items. I feel like I am getting screwed right now. I never saw anything about setting a reserve or anything like that. Does Ebay do this automatically?

I may have more questions later on.

Thank you in advance,

Seth=L

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
You CAN set a reserve, but honestly, it turns off most bidders. They'll see the reserve, and not bid. If it doesn't make the reserve, the item doesn't sell, and all the bidders who bid below that will want it anyway and try to get you to sell it.

Depending on the item, and the price, it is best to probably just set the opening bid close to what you want to sell it for.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Eh, I set the opening bid a small bit different then the "Buy It Now". Makes life easy.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
About where you set your opening price, you can enter a reserve. You undoubtedly missed it. Ebay does not automatically enter a reserve. In fact, I believe they'd get rid of reserves if they could as they don't make any money on items with reserves that aren't met. Ebay allows your auction terms to be changed if there are no bids, although I'm not 100% certain you can add a reserve. I think you can though. If there are bids and you still want a reserve, you'll have to cancel all bids, end your auction and restart it with the new parameters.

But I agree with Jon - I hate reserves and I rarely bid on auctions with a reserve. If you absolutely need a certain price, set that at your opening but don't be surprised if there are no takers, even if it's reasonable.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah, most times you are best off setting a ridiculously low starting bid with no reserve and making sure you put keywords in your title that will drive traffic. That will get people bidding and watching your auction.

When I'm selling something on Ebay, I'll look at completed auctions and find the ones that sold for the highest amount, then take cues from their title keywords and categories.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Thank you guys, you have been a great help. I am a complete noob to selling things on the internet. I placed the first bid at a high enough mark to keep it from being sold for dirt cheap and then at the same time without it being to high. I think I did the best I can. I will just have to wait and see what happens over the next few days.

Thank you again for your help, I am feeling much less frustrated.:)

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I usually set my opening bid for the minimum I'll accept & the Buy-It-Now price for what I'd really like to get for it, no reserve. Once someone bids, the BIN option disappears. I'm amazed how often the price gets driven higher than the original BIN price. Works for me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also will not bid on reserve price auctions.

Just set your opening bid at the minimum you're willing to sell for. Don't play games.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I also did not see the option to have a Buy it Now price. Were would that have been?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

I don't think you're paying attention. All the pricing options are on the same page in the same area. I entered a mock auction to be certain that things haven't changed. The Reserve Price box is to the right of the Starting Price box! The Buy It Now box is right below the Starting Price box! It's pretty obvious - look again.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I am a noob at selling stuff on the internet, I probably just missed it. Thanks again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll resurrect this thread, rather than a new one. I'm going to do my first sale on eBay and I'm looking for advice on the process.

In particular, do you set a starting price at $0.01 or at my actual desired minimum price? Do I need photos of my actual item, or are stock manufacturer's photos adequate (especially since eBay charges for photos!)?

eBay gives these tips. Any clunkers there that shouldn't be followed?
  • Find out What It’s Worth
  • Get Free Shipping Supplies
  • Start Pricing Low with No Reserve
  • Include Reasonable Shipping Costs
  • Maximize Your Item Title
  • Describe Your Item in Detail
  • Include Photos
  • Communicate
  • Save a trip to the Post Office
  • Tell your Story

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Those tips seem fairly solid (though I have no clue about the free shipping supplies).

A few more tips based on my own experience:

I usually send an e-mail to the buyer when I ship something so they know it's coming. I also tell them that I will leave feedback when they do.

When it comes to shipping, don't estimate. Make sure you have the box or envelope that you're going to use to ship and that you enter the correct size and weight of the package because you can end up paying more than the buyer paid for shipping.

If you're selling an older collectible item (a toy, a book, a comic or a baseball card), multiple pics are probably a good idea.

It all depends on what you're selling but I sell a fair amount of DVDs and I just start each auction off at $1 (especially with the eBay listing costing $.25) rather than having a minimum or setting it at what I hope to get.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I almost always set a starting bid of $0.99 even if the item is worth hundreds of dollars. I find that the low starting bid attracts a lot of interest.

As for photos, actual if at all possible. I know when I'm buying I feel much more comfortable about an auction if the photos are not stock. You don't have to pay for photos on Ebay. They give you one free, and then if you want to put more, just upload your photos to someplace like Photobucket and code them in HTML in your auction body. They'll show up fine. Just make sure you code it so the actual pictures appear and not just a link to them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, thanks. I didn't know I could use HTML in my ebay listing and reference off-site photos. Good tip.

I'll have to postpone my listing for a couple days, until I figure out how I'm going to ship it and the exact costs. But that's fine; no need to be hasty and do a sloppy job.

I'm selling a common home theater item; ebay shows that they do sell and for reasonable prices. So I hope to get a few bucks for it
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Some shipping services, like FedEx and USPS, offer certain sizes of containers and envelopes free of charge. It doesn't hurt to ask before you buy something.

I have a book I bought on Amazon titled Absolute Beginners Guild to eBay. If someone is planning to sell more than a few items on eBay I think it's a good idea to get a book like this. Mine was new and current but cost $3.00 plus a bit for shipping. Well worth it too me.

It lists the 5 most common eBay listing mistakes.

1) List in the wrong category
2) Set the starting price too high
3) Don't adequately discribe the item
4) Don't include a picture
5) Don't charge enough for shipping

Another important thing it mentioned is when to start your auction because that determines when it will end. You want it to end sometime in the late afternoon/early evenning when there will be many potential last minute bidders to bid up the price and not at 2 AM when everyone is still sleeping.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is there a particularly good "ebay for dummies"? I'm stymied by basic things, like how to edit my listing after previewing it, or how to embed photos from Picasa Web.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike

I will not bid on items that charge ridiculous amounts for shipping. For example, I was looking at an Adcom preamp. The item weighs less than 10 lbs shipped and typically sells for about $100.

The seller had buy-it-now for $110 (not a bad amount), but wanted $40 for shipping and handling....LOL. At that weight you can buy a box, plastic, and peanuts and have $25 left over after shipping FedEx or UPS ground. He was advertising - I want a sucker!

He got zero bids and probably wonders why!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I agree. Over charging for shipping probably scares a lot of people away from the listing. But I think the author felt most sellers don't take into account the amount of time it takes to box and ship the item as well as the container cost and the actual shipping charge. But you can only ask the buyer to pay so much before they walk away. Also, some of the shipping calculators are not always accurate which I'm sure leads to some of these inflated shipping estimates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks