What's new

Question Regarding Indiana Jones DVD Trilogy... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Hi, I just have 2 quick uncertainties regarding this box-set that I'd love if someone could clarify for me...

I remember reading various posts and threads upon Indie's initial release, stating the possibility of a re-issue with additional content and bonus features that might be put out sometime in the next year or so to tie-in with promotion of the next installment in the Indiana Jones series that Parmount has planned for 2006.

Can anyone confirm this possiblity for me?

Also, I remember hearing talk about a bonus 5th disc, exclusive to initial purchases through Best Buy, that included a 10-minute trailer for an upcoming DVD compiling the original video documentaries filmed for the Indiana Jones movies.

Is this still planned for release and does anyone know when it will be made available or have any updates on it's status?

I really want to pick this box-set up in the coming week but I'm contemplating whether the possibilities of an updated definitive release in the near future should warrant my patience?

Thanks!

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
The BestBuy bonus 5th disc was 10 mins, but not for an upcoming DVD. it was a making of documentary, made a while ago.

I'm sure they will release a new box set with the 4th movie, but that's a while away and nothing is offical.

I don't think they have filmed a frame of the 4th movie at this point. I don't know if they are waiting for George to finish up on Star Wars III, or if he's already written the script.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Nick,

So the rumors regarding a seperate documentary release for the original I.J. features is not in the works afterall?

I had thought that the 10 min. documentary included was simply a segment taken from the full supplemental featured on an earlier home video release which was due out sometime after the trilogy box-set release...

This is definitely not the case?

Thanks again Nick!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

A script for Indy IV was written by Frank Darabont, and no one liked it. The film is now on hold. (This was widely reported in early February.)

M.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

"The short and simple version of the INDIANA JONES 4 situation is that after more than a year of working closely with Steven Spielberg developing the story, I had completed a screenplay that Steven loved and was hoping to shoot in July of this year. However, George Lucas had issues with the script and slammed on the brakes in order to rework the material himself. There is talk of enlisting another writer. Given that George is the producer, but even moreso because of their long and close friendship, Steven is deferring to George in this situation.
It is now up to them to try to find a common ground regarding the film. I wish them luck and hope their efforts result in something they're both excited about shooting. What, if anything, might remain of my work at the end of the process is anybody's guess, assuming the film even gets made at this point. As for me, I'm disappointed, but I'm putting the experience behind me and moving on with my life and my own projects."
- Frank Darabont

Judging from Lucas' previous role with the IJ films, I'd say that it was more likely overall story aspects Lucas was unhappy with and not specific details like lines of dialogue or the like.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Other reports (most recently by Peter Bart of Variety) have indicated that it was Spielberg who didn't like the script. In situations like this, there's so much spin that it's almost impossible to pin down the truth. But the bottom line is that the film won't be happening soon.

M.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for all the responses, but can anyone confirm or deny the above statement regarding the possible individual release of the original I.J. documentary features?

I appreciate it!

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan

I have no idea, but I'd buy them if they came out.

I'm pretty sure the 10 minute doc (I have it) is simply the usual 10 minute featurette done for just about every film and not a shortened version of either of the real documentaries. It's the sort of extra that would be mocked in DVD review had it been included as real bonus material.

-Reagan

CraigL

Screenwriter
The 10 minute doc is the original EPK (electronic press kit) for the film. It's standard fare sent out usually with the booklet of information and still photos but obviously reserved for TV markets. It's interesting in that it shows other footage not contained in the making of docs but not entirely new. I only watched it once and is good for what it is, but obviously should have been included in the poorly put together (bonus-wise) boxed set.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have a question about the Best Buy bonus disc. Mine came in a small plastic case with no cover art. On DVD Profiler, there is a picture of a completely different cover. This cover looks like a standard sized DVD case with cover art. Where did this cover art on DVD Profiler come from?

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I wouldn't be too worried about the Best Buy 10-minute disc. I was rather disappointed in it and will probably never watch it again. I openly admit that I was misled by Best Buy's advertising hype and expected more than I ended up getting from the bonus disc.

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles are supposedly in the works. I believe I've seen "expected" dates of 2005/2006. That could have been what the initial posts was in reference to. Someone hears "Young Indy" and conveniently forgets the word "Young" the next time around.

Regardless, why put off enjoying the Indiana Jones Trilogy for a YEAR AND A HALF because of a rumor of a new release?

Life's too short to wait for a better version of a DVD forever.

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
I watched the 10 min. disc once. It's completely redundant as the included documentaries cover the same material and much more. I actually threw mine away. If I still had it I would willingly send it to you.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
You could have at least eBay'd it for a pretty penny. :)

It's nothing particularly spectacular but I liked the featurette. It featured some additional moments behind the scenes and I just thought it was a fun look at the making of Raiders.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I have that bonus DVD, and when I saw it, I compared it to the original hour-long "making of" documentary that was on TV in the early 80's. Much, if not all, of the footage is the same between the two. Still, it makes for a nice little curio to the set. I wish they had released all of the original documentaries on DVD, though, for completists' sake.

As for a re-release, if we had any news on IJ IV going into full production at this point, then I would say it would be a certainty that a DVD re-release with IJ IV included would be in stores, as well as a single release of the film (most likely a 2-disc set with the film on Disc 1 and all the added stuff on Disc 2). But from what I read, they want everything absolutely perfect before they can go ahead with IJ IV.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The last news was that INDY 4 isn't going much of anywhere. The script by Frank Darabont was finished with Spielberg and Ford approving. Sadly, Lucas didn't like it. The deal was that all three had to give approval.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Many people, myself included with his last few outings, feel that Spielberg has lost his touch.

And Lucas... well I think the new Star Wars pictures say it all. Sigh.

Why ruin the magic? Leave Indy alone.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
I picked up one of those Double Amaray cases for the fourth disc and just included the Best Buy disc in with it. This way the set remains packaged in its box.

You can find these cases for sale at the Sleeve City website (scroll down a bit).

CraigL

Screenwriter

That is not true.

As someone who endlessly watched those 2 specials when I was younger and recently put the laserdiscs onto DVD, i'd say at least half of that footage if not much more has not been released before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks