What's new

Regarding Frasier Picture Quality On DVD (1 Viewer)

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Is it me, or is the video quality on the video releases of season one (and possibly two) not as sharp as the subsequent season releases?
The picture to me is rather dull looking, not blurry, but not as crisp as the following releases.

I have also noticed this on the versions shown on the Hallmark channel regarding season one.

Has anyone purchased the 2015 box set yet?
If so, is the clarity of first two seasons versions better than the previous individual seasons?

I will consider picking it up if someone can vouch for the quality of the first two seasons being at least somewhat better!

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I agree. I do not know the reason, but I have always thought that. Also, the last few seasons are widescreen in the streaming version on ParamountPlus, but standard aperture on the DVDs. It would be awesome if Paramount would go back to the the actual 35mm film and redo it, but I am doubtful. And I suspect that even though it was filmed on 35mm, it was edited on video like they did with Star Trek in the day.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I agree with this completely. Frasier S01-S02 on DVD had poor/blurry/soft PQ; maybe slightly better than a VHS rip, but not much better.

Conversely, the S03-on DVD's had better, sharper PQ. Not sure why there was so much of a difference; I suspect maybe the source material for S01-S02 wasn't as good as the source material for S03-on?! However, I have no way to confirm this.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I agree. I do not know the reason, but I have always thought that. Also, the last few seasons are widescreen in the streaming version on ParamountPlus, but standard aperture on the DVDs. It would be awesome if Paramount would go back to the the actual 35mm film and redo it, but I am doubtful. And I suspect that even though it was filmed on 35mm, it was edited on video like they did with Star Trek in the day.
I do recall back in the early '00s, there were some shows (IE. ER), that were sometimes broadcast with the top and bottom black widescreen bars, but not always.

My point is was 1:33.1 still the hard standard during the last few seasons of the original run of FRASIER, or are both the old standard TV aspect ratio, and the widescreen formats then creeping in on a number of TV shows considered acceptable from about 2000 on to until the 1:33.1 AR was eventually phased out?

CHEERS! :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And I suspect that even though it was filmed on 35mm, it was edited on video like they did with Star Trek in the day.

Absolutely. That’s pretty much the story for every program from the 80s until the transition to filming/editing in HD.

I’ve noticed the first couple seasons appearing poorer on both the DVDs and streaming versions. I think it’s safe to say that it’s inherent in the tape masters and not the fault of the discs or the streaming provider.

With Frasier set to return to air next year, there’s always a chance that Paramount+ could remaster the original series in HD for their service. But I don’t think the show is harmed by being viewed in standard definition, either.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When I went from Cheers straight into Frasier last summer, Frasier looked older than Cheers because Cheers had already gotten its spiffy new HD remaster while Frasier was using the circa 1993 videotape masters.

Oh, and as for Tony's 1.33 vs Widescreen question, only seasons 10 and 11 were released to streaming in widescreen, IIRC, and 11 may have been the only one of the two not cropped to make it widescreen. I can't recall, but I know 11 just opened up the frame instead of chopping the top and bottom.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I bought the entire Cheers series, one by one, as they were originally released way back on the first time around.
The colors seemed much deeper and richer than that of Frasier, though many episodes looked somewhat darker than most series.
I don't recall if that's how they were originally filmed or not, as I only saw a few of them on broadcast TV.

They still look great on my Mac, and brighter and better via the HDMI cable on my big screen.
I won't need to repurchase the newer transfers.

Oh...I backed them up to my HD in much smaller file sizes than that of the Frasier's, and to my eyes, they were overall a much better transfer than the Frasier's.

PatrickDA

Second Unit
"Frasier" needs A LOT of work. The first few seasons look awful on the Hallmark HD channel. Far worse than ANY season of "Cheers" which came BEFORE...doesn't make any sense. I hope something will be done about this in the future. "Frasier" was very popular through its first six seasons, so it shouldn't be that the powers that be don't feel it's worth the investment. Plenty of less popular shows have been treated FAR better on home video over the years.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The first three seasons of Cheers were shot and edited on film, but then when they switched to a film-to-tape edit workflow, they saved enough of the negatives to rebuild the last eight seasons in HD.

For Frasier, they would have to do this for the whole show save for the later years which should already have been in HD to begin with. Wasn't NBC the first broadcast network to broadcast that way, just as they were the first in color and the first in stereo?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The first three seasons of Cheers were shot and edited on film, but then when they switched to a film-to-tape edit workflow, they saved enough of the negatives to rebuild the last eight seasons in HD.
That's right, I remember now figuring the scenes in the later years that looked worse than the surrounding scenes had to be upscaled from videotape.

Overall, not much had to be upscaled, but it was noticable when it was.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They've made great strides in video upscaling technology since then, too. Not enough to make analog/early digital video look as good as film, but enough to narrow the quality gap for shots where tape is all there is.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Unlike Dallas, which did the same thing on CBS in its latter years (1986-91); the DVDs of those latter years (from what I understand) had horrible picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herodotus
Recent bookmarks