What's new

Question on securing bookshelf speakers to stands (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I have some Standesign speaker stands that I'm using with my two front speakers which are JBL N24. There is a hole in the top plate which I'm not sure if it's to run cable wire through or attach the speaker with, but since there is already a hole directly below that for the wire I'm pretty sure you're supposed to attach the speaker via that hole. In either case the N24's base screw isn't in the right place to really use the hole to attach the speaker to the stand anyway and I was wondering if what I'm considering is smart or will defeat the purpose of the stand entirely.
I'm thinking of putting velcro strips on the bottom of the speakers and on the top of the plate to secure the speakers. My dad has some that he's used to secure his computer joystick to his desk and believe me that thing IS NOT going anywhere, you've got to really pull hard as hell on the thing to get it up. So, at least I know the speakers wouldn't go anywhere. I was just wondering if doing this defeats the purpose of the stands since I'd kind of be isolating the speaker from the top plate via the velcro strip? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

TonyG

Auditioning
Sean,
The audiphile time proven method of attaching speakers to stands is by using "BlueTak". The original stuff is blue, but I use a cheap yellow variant I found in the paint section of Home Depot a few years ago. It is a putty like substance that both adheres to and slightly isolates speakers on stands.
Roll the strips into balls (I used 3 small balls per speaker) and stick them on the bottoms of the speakers. Next, place the speakers on the stands and slowly, firmly compress the tak until it flattens a little. Walla. My stands were knocked over several times by the kids, but the speakers never came off!
I was able to re-use this great cheap stuff (~$4) after I moved the speakers a couple years later. I had to twist with considerable effort to get the speakers to detach from the stands. The tak came off completely from both surfaces, and I rolled it back into small balls. The new bond appears to be just as strong as the original bond. This is easily the most cost effective addition I have ever made to my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks