What's new

Question on MX-500 Universal Remote. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
One thing my wife hates about my yamaha remote now is that you have to change to each different component to shut it off. You cant just hit "system power" and shut it off. Does the MX-500 do this? I know you can make macros, but I want the power button to turn everything off and on, not a macro button. Thats for other things.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Turning everything off requires a macro by definition. You have to send multiple commands, one to each device. Multiple commands == a macro.

The MX-500 has a "system off" button that can act as a global power off macro, also a "power" button to do the opposite thing. The only trick is that you might need to also pick up a cheap OneForAll remote to get "discrete power codes", otherwise your macros would just turn on components that are off and vice versa. (Unless you are content to just power on/off everything simultaneously in which case plain power toggle codes work OK).

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Some of my components don't have discrete codes for power, so I have had to utilize the M1, M2, and M3 buttons on my MX-500 for power up/down functions. It works okay, but "discrete codes" is definitely on my must-have list for any new component I buy.

I'd much rather be able to use those two buttons at the top of my remote instead of the three at the bottom!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Some components without discretes (aka "TOADS") you can trick by doing stuff like "play then power", with the play always turning it on then the power being off for sure.

If you have a lot of components with no discrete codes, and having only the components you want on is an issue for you, the Harmony 659 may work better for you. It has some intelligence to remember which components are on, at least if no one blocked the IR signal, and provides a help screen if things get out of sync. But the key layout isn't quite as good as the MX-500 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks