What's new

Question: GC Component Cable? (1 Viewer)

Adrian_S

Second Unit
Hi Gang, is Nintendo the only place to get the component video cable adapter for my Gamecube? Are there no third party cables, cheaper? Or how about a pin-out diagram so I can make my own?

I use the S-Video right now, but I got component out for my Xbox and PS2. I paid $6.95 for my PS2 component cable and $10.95 for my xbox av/pack. Nintendo want's like $37 shipped.

Since were on the subject, did they ever make any component cables for the Dreamcast?

Thanks,

Adrian

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Try looking on eBay for the component cables, or scan message boards. I got mine for $25 shipped.

Yes, Nintendo is currently the only place you can buy them from. No third parties yet.

One thing to consider about making your own cable: where will you get the male connector that goes into the Digital AV Out port on the back of your Gamecube?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Believe it or not, the 'digital' out of the Gamecube is actually a digital out (I don't know what standard...DVI with a custom connector?), unlike the PS2 and XBox.
The cable has a D/A chip in the connector, this chip converts the digital out to analog component video.
You can actually jumper some of the pins on this D/A chip and get RGB/VGA!
Anyhow, because the Gamecube cable is actually 'smart', you'll never find it as cheap as for the other systems.
From GamesX message board:
Nintendo named D/Component cable connector as "Digital A/V out". It is acctualy "digital". Pallareled digital video siganl out with clock, and even S/PDIF audio out. In Component/D-Terminal connector there is a custom made mixed cercuit D/A converter. Made by Macronics(MX-IC). But I don't know who desigend that. It has capability of component/RGB out.
This D/A converter looks so smart. In component mode, it will produce component siginal(YPbPr) and sync on Y. In RGB mode, D/A shut off sync on video signal but can get from another pin.
What a design!...
Hmm, maybe we'll see a 2.0 cable with digital out (2-channel PCM, likely)

Adrian_S

Second Unit
Drat! I knew this cable wasn't a normal thing... I will check ebay, if not then I'm gonna have to bite the bullet at Nintendo.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
on that message board post that Michael linked to above, there is a circuit diagram for converting the raw digital audio stream into a SPDIF one - anyone give it a try yet? I'm thinking of doing it if I can locate the necessary IC cheaply enough :)

Derek.Dixon

Agent
Lets just hope Monster Cable gets off their butts and puts out a component video cable it would get alot of use Nintendo reuses all thier old a/v ports' the one on the N64 is now the cube's analog port.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks