Question: GC Component Cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adrian_S, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

Hi Gang, is Nintendo the only place to get the component video cable adapter for my Gamecube? Are there no third party cables, cheaper? Or how about a pin-out diagram so I can make my own?

I use the S-Video right now, but I got component out for my Xbox and PS2. I paid $6.95 for my PS2 component cable and $10.95 for my xbox av/pack. Nintendo want's like $37 shipped.

Since were on the subject, did they ever make any component cables for the Dreamcast?

Thanks,

Adrian

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Try looking on eBay for the component cables, or scan message boards. I got mine for $25 shipped.

Yes, Nintendo is currently the only place you can buy them from. No third parties yet.

One thing to consider about making your own cable: where will you get the male connector that goes into the Digital AV Out port on the back of your Gamecube?

3. Michael St. Clair

Believe it or not, the 'digital' out of the Gamecube is actually a digital out (I don't know what standard...DVI with a custom connector?), unlike the PS2 and XBox.
    The cable has a D/A chip in the connector, this chip converts the digital out to analog component video.
    You can actually jumper some of the pins on this D/A chip and get RGB/VGA!
    Anyhow, because the Gamecube cable is actually 'smart', you'll never find it as cheap as for the other systems.
    From GamesX message board:

4. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

Drat! I knew this cable wasn't a normal thing... I will check ebay, if not then I'm gonna have to bite the bullet at Nintendo.

5. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

on that message board post that Michael linked to above, there is a circuit diagram for converting the raw digital audio stream into a SPDIF one - anyone give it a try yet? I'm thinking of doing it if I can locate the necessary IC cheaply enough [​IMG]

6. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I've been on the same quest.
    Pelican actually lists a component cable for the Gamecube but suprise, no one has it in stock. I think it is like $19.99.
    http://www.pelicanacc.com/search/detailed.php?id=116
    I hate spending $37 at Nintendo for something that should be sold everywhere for not more than $20.
    Doug

7. Derek.Dixon

Derek.Dixon Agent

Lets just hope Monster Cable gets off their butts and puts out a component video cable it would get alot of use Nintendo reuses all thier old a/v ports' the one on the N64 is now the cube's analog port.