What's new

Questions related to migrating from VCR/CRT living room (1 Viewer)

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
I hate to put this all in one post, but I don't want to bore you guys to death either with post after post asking noob questions.

I'm finally about to bite the bullet and dump the VCR and the CRT TV. Actually I've had a DVD player for many years, but still used the VCR to record TV programs.

Here are my questions:

1. It would seem that based upon size, a 37" screen would be a direct replacement for a 27" CRT, since they are the same height. Why are there almost no 37" sets available?

2. If I am copying an old VHS tape to DVD, do I do it in highest quality or lowest quality mode? I've heard it both ways. Highest quality, so you don't lose anything or lowest quality so that the DVD recorder doesn't add extra stuff.

3. Am I right that although Hi-def is the future, that most of regular cable is still 240i? Does it being digital make any difference in the amount of information that is being sent? My sense is that Turner Classics, Bravo, AMC, etc, are not broadcast at Hi-def and won't be any better on an LCD than it was on the CRT.

4. Right now I have a cabinet for my whole setup, TV, speakers, receiver, DVD and VCR etc. It's nice having an enclosed unit that I can put things on top of. But it seems that all the current furniture is just a console and you have to mount speakers on the wall and stack your DVDs on the floor. Any ideas of where I can get a relatively small cabinet (maybe no more than 60" wide) that will fit a 37 to 40" set and components?

If I need to pay someone to get some in-depth answers I can email you an Amazon GC or something.

Thanks so much!!!!

Donald

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. No idea why there are few, if any, 37" TV's.

2. DVD recorders don't add anything. They just convert the analog signal fed into them.

3. Depends on the source of your TV viewing. I use DirecTV and there is an HD version of every channel I regularly watch except DIY. Depending on the channel and source, standard def programs can look worse on a high def capable TV. You are now able to see the imperfections in the standard def signal.

4. There are thousands of furniture options. No idea where to even start. And I've never put my speakers on the wall.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Donald,

I try to answer at least some of your questions.

1. Where have you been looking? I found about 20 that size on Best Buy's web site. However, I would suggest looking at a bigger set. With high def sets, you can get much bigger and sit much closer than you could with old CRTs. Look around for 40" or more. You may be surprised.

2. Not sure about this. I used a computer and capture card (with some settings including video SOAP to get the best picture possible from home movies).

3. There's almost no channels I watch that are not high def. I have access to over 100 HD channels (I watch about 70 of them). This varies by location (unless you get satellite). I have FIOS.

4. I dislike cabinets. Not only do they create additional heat issues for your equipment, they restrict the sound of your speakers (and I'm all about the sound

No one pays around here. In fact, we usually recommend 'doing it yourself'.

safesinger

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sal
High Definition is supported by all the major broadcasters Cable,Phone and Satellite.

There are different resolutions 480i is standard resolution that your current CRT displays AKA:Analog broadcast.

High Definition is 720P or better: 1080i/p.

Not all channels deliver in full 1080i and right now no braodcast delivers in 1080p only Blu-ray movies will do true 1080p resolution.

As far as broadcast channels go again this depends on the chosen format the channel displays some 720p and other 1080i.

But when using cable channels or satellite or even Phone/Fios there are multiples of 1 channel example channel 10 will have a standard channel of 480i resolution and also another channel that broadcasts in either 720p or 1080i.

To get HD broadcast from your local cable,phone or satellite it will require you to recioeve the companys HD box to get the HD channels. These Boxes from said companys do have built in recording much better and easier than the old VCR.
There is also OTA: Over the Air HD these are all local channels that your county or city should have available. This requires an HD antenna.

There is also a 480p this is not HD it is considered Enhanced Definition Television they really no longer sell EDTV's but 480P is supported by HD Televisions and can be used for standard broadcast it up-converts. Also alot of DVD's are best viewed at 480p.

Televisons can vary LCD is great if you are a gamer because stagnent images are not goin to burn in.

Plasma Televisions can and will get burn-in not as bad as the older models they now have protection for that but still wouldn;t recommend for a gaming setup.

There is more to the debate of Plasma .vs LCD on what looks better and what has better blacks/Whites or refresh rates but this is something you should google and study before making a definte decision.

Also LCD can get higher resolutions in a smaller size while Plasma televisons require larger sizes for higher resolutions.

Just keep in mind there are 100's of LCD and Plasma Televisions but none are created equal so do your home work carefully before buying get what fits you and your needs.

As far as Home theater sound again this depends on your needs and will require you to do some homework so you can decide what fits your needs and price range. I've found that sound can get much more expensive

than your TV and yearly cable bill combined.

Hope that helps a little bit on High Definition there is of course more details to this feel free to search the nets for more.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wow. That's really complicating things.......

Depending on the TV you get, you may not need a box from the cable company. You can use CableCard instead (I have no boxes in my house - I use TiVo and cablecard).

For all the various resolutions and sub channels and all the other stuff... It has really been worked out over the past few years. It is really not that complicated any more.

I own and abuse LCD, Plasma, LCoS, and RP CRT and I do not worry about burn in. It has become almost a non-issue in the past couple years. My old RP CRT (which really did have burn in risk) was used by my son for video games for 2 years without an issue. I would not be concerned.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Originally Posted by Donald_S

3. Am I right that although Hi-def is the future, that most of regular cable is still 240i? Does it being digital make any difference in the amount of information that is being sent? My sense is that Turner Classics, Bravo, AMC, etc, are not broadcast at Hi-def and won't be any better on an LCD than it was on the CRT.
Don't know where you got the number 240i, Standard definition digital broadcast is 480i, but stations can throttle the bit-rate so low as to produce a really crappy picture. But with a high enough bit-rate standard definition can look really nice on a digital TV. You're really at the mercy of the TV stations or cable company as to what you get.

snoopy28574

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Batchelor
I use SP for recording to DVD from both VHS and laser disc. If its really important, I make a Digital 8 master and transfer to the PC. Im talking about home movies and rareities. XP reallly doesn't make a difference I can see with those formats listed above.. Of course sometimes you just want the best anyway.Be sure to use archive quality DVD's, 24kt gold plated. Anything else is subject to loss.

Originally Posted by Donald_S

I hate to put this all in one post, but I don't want to bore you guys to death either with post after post asking noob questions.

I'm finally about to bite the bullet and dump the VCR and the CRT TV. Actually I've had a DVD player for many years, but still used the VCR to record TV programs.

Here are my questions:

1. It would seem that based upon size, a 37" screen would be a direct replacement for a 27" CRT, since they are the same height. Why are there almost no 37" sets available?

2. If I am copying an old VHS tape to DVD, do I do it in highest quality or lowest quality mode? I've heard it both ways. Highest quality, so you don't lose anything or lowest quality so that the DVD recorder doesn't add extra stuff.

4. Right now I have a cabinet for my whole setup, TV, speakers, receiver, DVD and VCR etc. It's nice having an enclosed unit that I can put things on top of. But it seems that all the current furniture is just a console and you have to mount speakers on the wall and stack your DVDs on the floor. Any ideas of where I can get a relatively small cabinet (maybe no more than 60" wide) that will fit a 37 to 40" set and components?

If I need to pay someone to get some in-depth answers I can email you an Amazon GC or something.

Thanks so much!!!!

Donald

safesinger

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sal
It's not all that complicated I use Fios Television and still to this day there are multiples of 1 channel 1 for analog "standard" and the other for Digital "High Definition"

I realize there are cable card options for Tivo boxes and some HD Televisions but didn't wanna add to much more to an already confusing enough situation for someone that is totally new to this.

Thought I explained it pretty decently :(

He was wanting to pay someone for basic information thought writing the HD info would help him along on his way without spending even more $$$ on an already expensive upgrade.

Originally Posted by David Willow

Wow. That's really complicating things.......

Depending on the TV you get, you may not need a box from the cable company. You can use CableCard instead (I have no boxes in my house - I use TiVo and cablecard).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks