Question For Denon 1600 Owners

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RickLe, Jul 10, 2003.

1. RickLe

RickLe Stunt Coordinator

Wondering how this handles the layer changes? I had a Toshiba 2109 and currently have an Onkyo 525 and I hate when it does it's little (pause) change. If it is noticable, how bad is it? I heard the 2900 doesn't have a problem at all with this but I'm not sure I need an $800 unit. TIA

2. Doug_NHT

Doug_NHT Stunt Coordinator

If I blink, I miss the layer change. I'm surprised that some people are bothered by it at all as I've seen much worse.

Doug

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

The layer changes last about one second or less. Like Doug, I've had much worse with other players. Since it usually only happens once per DVD, I don't really have any problem with it whatsoever.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I've never been bothered by layer changes in the first place. It's sort of a matter of enjoying the total experience afforded by a good DVD transfer: Why let a second-long layer change spoil the party? (In other words, when shopping for a new DVD player, how the machine handles layer changes is not a priority for me.)

5. Robert Bailey

The 1600 handles layer changes about the same as most DVD players. I'd prefer they were quicker, but they are about par for the course. Denon mentions that they have a 3MB buffer to assist layer changes, but I see no improvement myself...