What's new

Question for Dell 2405 widescreen LCD owners (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
How is the scaling of non-1920x1200 material on the monitor? Specifically, I'd be interested in how things like:

1. DVD through component (which I believe is 720x480)
2. HDTV through DVI (my Samsung SIR-T151 has DVI out, non HDCP I believe, at either 720p or 1080i)
3. XBox through component

would look on the monitor? How does the monitor's internal scaler handle those resolutions?

I know PC through the native monitor resolution will look spectacular but I have need for a multi-use LCD-TV style as well as for monitor usage.

Also can you do pic in pic, pic out of pic, etc. with those other inputs alongside the main monitor input? What kind of control do you have over the sub-pic (can you control size, where it appears, etc.)?

Thanks, I've been trying to look for the manual online but I can't find it for the 2405.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
I highly doubt that your receiver does NOT have HDCP on its DVI port. I have the DTV receiver SIR-TS160 and it clearly says on the back "DVI/HDCP out". As such, it will not work with the Dell monitor.

However, if the ouput of the receiver is set to 1080i, I wouldn't let the monitor scale anything.

Also, the PIP function of the monitors only lets you combine a monitor source (VGA or DVI) with a video source. You can not have two computers connected at those interfaces and use the PIP function.

I also believe size of the PIP cannot be controlled (I have the 2005, but never used the PIP due to the necessity to use a video input for it).

-Christian

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll check about HDCP. I just bought the Westinghouse 27" LCD TV with DVI and I can connect it just fine (I think the Westinghouse does have HDCP compatibility though). If the OTA HD STB cannot connect with the Dell monitor, then it's pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

What's cool about the Westinghouse is that you have minute control over the PIP-POP options and a built in TV-tuner. The only place where the 2405 trumps the Westinghouse is the massive 1920x1200 vs. 1280x720 resolution.

Again, I say that in reference to my needs, which is primarily as an all-purpose LCD TV being fed HD, XBox component feed, coaxial TV and component from DVD, and not as a monitor. Clearly as a pure LCD monitor the Dell spanks the Westinghouse.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
One more question for clarification: if the STB is outputting 1080i, wouldn't the TV have to scale, because the resolution is 1920x1200?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It should not scale. HDTV and computers use square pixels. HDTV is 16:9, and widescreen computers are 16:10. Basically, 16:9 plus a little extra for a control strip (or menu, taskbar, whatever). Stretching would actually cause distortion. If the monitor is smart, if it knows it is getting 1080i or 1080p, it should just center it or put it on the top/bottom.

DVDs use 720x480 for both 16:9 and 4:3 content. If you do the math, 720/480 is 3:2, neither of those. The DVD pixels are not square, so when you display it on a fixed-pixel display (anything besides a CRT I guess) there's always some scaling/stretching going on.

How does it look? The scaling may not be much of an issue. It will be soft compared to HD content or you computer desktop. For LCDs, refresh rate could be an issue, although as I recall, the 2405 specs OK. The biggest thing might be calibrating the LCD so that the colors are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks