What's new

Question for Def Tech owners! (1 Viewer)

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I have 2000TL mains...just recently I gave each speaker it's own power outlet (each speaker has powered subs). The bass has been pretty good...but for some reason, now the bass seems even tighter and more "musical" now...and the bass is excellent anywhere in the room.
Has anyone tried this and noticed an improvement?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
This isn't Def Tech issue,it has to do with the fact that the amp section of the speaker now possibly plagued into a different circuit,and receives higher voltage,since it won't have to share it with other equipments.
I did the same thing with my powered subs and my receiver at the time.When I plugged high power demand eyuipments into a different curcuit,I immediatelly noticed that sound became more controlled and dynamic.
I did check it with a voltage/amp meter[on the electric line],and indeed there was a lot less "sagigng",when things got louder.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the reply.
Initially I had both powered speakers hooked up to the same outlet...which also had about 4 other things hooked up to it!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Bob- It might be wishful thinking. In most cases, different outlets in the same room are on the same circuit anyway. (You could check your circuit breaker box to make sure.)
If the speakers are new, maybe they're a little more "broken in" ?
------------------

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Kevin,
They are definitely broken in! I've had them for 2 years.
The difference is subtle...but there definitely is a slight difference IMO. Then again, I also notice differences in the sound when I move around my wires a bit (things are a bit cluttered back there).

John_Witt

Auditioning
I too have the 2000TL with a 3000 center (with powered center) and I have each of mine on dedicated breakers. I really don't have a specific reason other than making sure the load to each breaker was below the amperage. I'm not an electrician or engineer so I can't really agrue the merits of being on seperate breakers.
Now one improvement I've noticed is using a power conditioner. This comes from someone who never believed in them. After doing an in-home test, I noticed the difference. Bass was definitely tighter. To quantify, I would say about 25%.
One thing my subs don't do anymore is pop when they come on. I'm not sure what that means but the power conditioners must be doing something.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it could be due to just re-arranging the AC cords and maybe getting less "overlap" between them with resulting better sound?
I don't think different outlets is going to matter if everything is on the same circuit.
But if it sounds better, go with it!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks