Why not Definitive Technology?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jarret Eubanks, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Jarret Eubanks

Well, I use to read on here all the time a couple of years ago but have strayed away. I am back now and love all the information on here!

My question is: Why don't you ever see Definitive Techonogy speakers talked about on here? When I was researching to buy HT speakers a couple of years ago, I read tons of great reviews on them and loved them when I bought my set-up 2 years ago: BP2002TL's and a CLR 2500 center. But now, I don't see them ANYWHERE on here and I just didn't know why.

They have been great for me and I like saving the space with built in powered subs. Why does it seem Definitive doesn't get any talk time on these forums?

- The Lonely Def Tech Owner :b

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jarret, at the top of the Basics-area thread-listings page, you will see this advisory, posted in red:

A lot of people are not getting it. It means that the Basics area is intended for beginners who have general questions about the hobby. For specific topics about, in this case, a specific brand of speaker manufacturer, please post in the area designated for it.

Thanks.

3. Jarret Eubanks

Sorry Jack.

Can you transfer this thread please? Sorry for any inconvenience.

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Their prices are probably a little high for what they're selling. Their specs are slightly embellished. Slightly. Of course, just about every speaker company does this. Part of the reason, though, has to be that the whole bipolar thing is sort of esoteric. Purists may not like the added bipolar effect. I think the concept of built-in subwoofers is cool. Some people prefer to be able to move their subwoofer around the room until they find just the right location. If you have Definitive Tech speakers and like them, that's good. If you're looking into speakers, you should look into Def Tech. They seem to use good components, and they also sound good. Parts Express did a factory buyout on some Def Tech stuff a while back, and now my main speakers are built with the 5.25" midbasses from the Def Tech BP8, and the aluminum-dome tweeter from the BP30. The Tweeter in the BP30 is a Seas H537, which is made in Norway. It is a very nice tweeter. Unfortunately not shielded, so I'll have to use the version without the rear damping chamber for a center channel. Both can be bought from Madisound. The midbass needed some special crossover work on it but the result is some very nice sound.

5. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

As a long time Def Tech owner, I too have noticed the lack of love Deh Tech recieves on this forum. It seems many readers here like factory direct speakers. I disagree that Def Tech is somewhat overpriced, it's beem My experience that speakers I have heard that I like better than My 2002's cost much more.For sure many don't seem to care for bipolars but obviously many do. I have 3 buddies who also love their Def Tech's so don't feel so lonely.

6. Vital

Vital Extra

Def Tech is one step up from Bose IMO. They sell their product by massive marketing campaigns, not word of mouth and repeat business. Go listen to them and then listen to other speakers in their price range from companies like Paradigm, Klipsch, Dynaudio, B&W and so on.

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I don't quite agree with the above; the Definitive Technology products I've come across seem to offer much better value than any Bose product, past or current. How they stack up against other brands I can't say (I've never owned them). It is my opinion, though, that they are somewhat overpriced. I know that they have a pretty hefty profit margin (like Bose), and so tend to be pushed more.

8. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I have been using their ProCinema 100 system in my apartment for about 5 years now and I am very happy with them. I stumbled across them when I went to a HT shop to listen to a Klipsch system but ended up with the Def Techs. I would definitely recommend them.

-Keith

9. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

Before the system I have now I had the pro400 towers, C/L/R 1000 center and an older powerfield 15 subwoofer. The 400's and 1000 were very nice speakers. For the money they were very hard to beat. If some one is looking for a starting point, I would start there. With the right equipment they can sound very very good.
    Mike D

10. AndersLS

AndersLS Auditioning

Hello guys....I have been running 3 deftech clr 2000 speakers as my front speakers....and it is pretty amazing!
    I have owned alot of different speakers including Dynaudio
    and Bose...and its no contest for sheer slam...hometheaterwize!!![​IMG] The feedback I get from friends who watch a movie OR listen to music is WWOWW!
    Its just taste I guess...some like em´...some don´t..as with all audio/video gear.[​IMG]

11. Jarret Eubanks

Well,

Some interesting feedback. My Def Tech 2002TL's and 2500 center have been amazing. Paired with a Denon 3803, they have been unbelievable to have.

I have listened to other speakers, but I really think these are hard to beat. At list price, they may be a little high but that is what negotiating is for! Please, with powered subs built in, you really aren't spending more than you would with another set and having to buy a seperate subwoofer.

All in all, I have been amazed by these speakers but to each is own. I didn't know there were so many negative opinions about them out there, when all I heard was rave reviews about them when I was shopping for HT speakers a couple of years ago.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This comes up from time to time except we'll read that some other manufacturer instead of DT as the point of the question. Maybe the reason has to do with after people have bought them, set them up as best they can, that they simply move on to the reason they bought them for in the first place - to listen to music or movies. As to why a lack of talk about a particular product should be a concern, I'm reminded of what Kevin Kline said in the movie "Dave". Somewhere in the middle of the movie, he's called a meeting of various people who are responsible for pet projects in order to see if he can save enough money to fund something that his 'wife', Sigourney Weaver, feels is especially worthy. As he's looking over the budget, he turns to one gentleman and asks him if its really necessary for the federal government to spend X million dollars on an ad campaign simply to make Americans feel good about the American cars they've purchased.

In a sense, that's what you're asking. Chatter that will somehow verify and validate what you bought. All I can say is if you like them and they met your needs, maybe its time to move on. No offence meant.

13. Jarret Eubanks

None taken. Like I said, I was just curious. You may very well be right. I know that I watch this forum day and night for months when rearching HT systems. After I bought my system 2 years ago, I've only been on here a hand full of times.

It will drive you crazy if you always try to stay up with the latest and greatest. Ok, I'm moving on now!
    [​IMG]

14. Jesse Engels

Jesse Engels Auditioning

I am very statisfied with my def tech center channel. It has been great. It sounds wonderful. Just my 2 cents.

15. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    And I've had an original PF1500 subwoofer for over 8 years. It has never failed me, and with some judicious tweaking of the EQ via BFD, can produce an almost honest 16Hz (at a few Db shy of reference volume).

16. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

One step above Bose? That's harsh! I always thought they sounded quite good & nothing like Bose. And since most seem to have built-in powered subs, of course they would cost more than a similar-quality/similar-sized speaker.

For some people though, I think for HT use their very wide dispersion/reflective qualities might bother them, i.e. this somewhat reduces their ability to generate a "pinpoint" spatial image for the TV end of a home theater.

And don't feel too bad Jarret: us Boston Acoustics owners usually feel the same way about our speaker choice too!

17. WayneLVS

WayneLVS Extra

When i was looking for my first subwoofer in 2001, i went to the local "hi-fi" shop and told them i "wanted to hear all the they had and i don't want to know what each one is".

After listening to several, i ended up going home with the one i liked best. It was a def tec Prosub80, and priced less than most i heard that day.

Now almost 4 years later i still have it and still like it.

I say buy what sounds best to you......and your budget...

18. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I do love my DefTech speakers - but I have to admit they sounded better in my other house because of the room dimensions.

There is also the idea that built-in subwoofers are a bit of a 'gimmick'. After a while people learn that the placement of the L/R speakers is NOT the best placement for a subwoofer. (My built-in woofers are disabled in favor of a single subwoofer.)

I believe they ARE great speakers. But many of the Canadian-made speakers (as mentioned above) give as good sound, but at a lower price. And they likely have more dealers => more sales.

19. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

Wow! the "word of mouth" here IS a MASSIVE MARKETING CAMPAIGN. As for repeat buisness, many on these forums are just constantly switching out equipment in search of that "lateral" move that will light up their lives , and often convincing themselves that every change is a distinct improvement. Def Techs were all the buzz for a while and then the buzz went elsewhere, the speakers are still fine and deserve an audition...they have some advantages including differant soundstage presentation, speaker location flexability, and the relative real world efficiancy. Hype is Hype don't buy it listen to them with others that are comporable and decide for yourself.