What's new

Question for Buffy experts (1 Viewer)

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator
Jason P: Hello.

Jason S: Ahh, I see. Cool.

Peter D: I was thinking the same thing about the withdrawal. I knew the day would come when I wouldn't get 2 episdoes a day but having to wait until the 15th before I can venture into primetime is like going cold turkey.

Observations:

Spike rules.

Anya is hilarious.

Riley was a bore.

Buffy Bot is hilarious also.

Tara makes me sleepy.

Willow has the best mouth in the world.

In "The Body" when Buffy says, ""Mom? Mom? (and then) ...Mommy?" it gave me the chlls.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
After all of that explanation, no one has mentioned that Jason Quillen's post about the January schedule was number 1709 in the big thread. :)
Regards,

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Thanks for pulling up the post number.
By saying my post was on the most recent pages (end of 57 or beginning of 58) I think most people could figure out that it would be on the last page or two of the thread, regardless of how many posts they have set per page.
Hell, it might even have been easier to click on that little link beneath my name and scroll through my last couple of posts.
Just consider it a post 'easter egg' hunt :)
Heres the info, directly from my post...
Moving right along to Buffy, heres the alleged airing schedule for January. Looks like the wait for a steady stream of new episodes may be longer then we anticipated...
1/1/01 - Flooded (R)
1/8/01 - Gone (NEW)
1/15/01 - Weight of the World & The Gift (Repeats)
1/22/01 - Bargaining I & II (Repeats)
1/29/01 - Doublemeat Palace(NEW)
2/5/01 - Dead Things (NEW)

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
In the spirit of Cal's post - some general observations on the show:
Good things:
Avoiding/playing on cliches - there are a lot of instances where the story seems to be headed in an obvious direction but takes a unexpected, sharp turn.
Smartly written/funny dialogue - this is what really got me into the show.
The Mayor - very well-played, he just cracked me up.
Faith - they never chickened out and gave her easy redemption.
Patiently setting up storylines - the show does a great job of introducing characters and situations in the background that will later come into the foreground, such as Riley & Maggie Walsh, Oz's mysterious attraction, etc. This adds a sense of depth to the ongoing story.
Hush/The Body - two exceptional and daring shows.
The Dawn Thing - Since I didn't see the Dracula show, I was really feeling confused at the start of this, because I felt like I had missed something (not knowing that it hadn't been explained there). But it's ended up being extremely well-executed.
Not-so-good things:
High School Willow vs College Willow - In the high school shows, they spent a few years showing Willow strongly attracted to Xander and then deeply involved with Oz. We're shown a Willow who's quiet, shy geek who is afraid to assert herself (and dresses quite conservatively). Cut to first day of college. Willow is instantly at ease in a new setting and looks like she came straight from the set of Total Request Live. Then they casually flip a 'gay switch' without being gutsy enough to really address it in a straightforward manner. The inconsistencies weaken the character IMHO.
Angel Crossovers - This really bugs me because there are instances in Buffy where they assume you've been watching Angel at the same time. The worst being that Cordelia just disappears from the show without even a mention of what's happened to her. Pretty lame for a major character.
Are Vampires inherently evil? - With the Angel storyline we're told that vampires have no soul, which is why they're evil (thus Angel is good when he has his and turns bad when he loses it). But Spike's behavior in the later episodes isn't consistent with this, even if you take the chip into account.
Silly Little Things
The Complete Absence of Computer Security - I sure don't want to live in Sunnydale, where anything on a computer can be hacked into via the Internet within five minutes, regardless of whether it's at City Hall or in a top-secret government facility.
Willow teaching her own high-school class - I know teachers are in short supply in California, but this one was stretching credibility even in a show about vampires, demons, and magic.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, on Boston Public last season, a student wound up teaching the (Shakespeare) English class, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for Willow to take over computer class due to the events in the show.

They laid out Willow's "gayness" in many little crumbs along the way (the Vamp Willow was the major one). Plus, I think a girl like Willow would have it much easier in college than high school, due to the lack of "stringent" cliques and being considered an "outsider" which permeates the high school life. College can be a place where if you know what you want, you can find it, and it doesn't have anything to do with if your peers think you're "cool" or not. Willow's transformation between high school and college was one that I bought rather easily given her character development in the 3 years we saw of her on the show.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I figured that since Cordelia was once again distanced from them in season 3 her leaving wouldn't be a factor they would mention deeply. They did throw in a line in "Pangs" though from willow to Angel.
"Is it true you're working with cordelia? Wow, what's that like...?"
And yes, they did assume that we would watch Angel, considering the character used to really kind of relate to what was going on on the other shows.
And willow began teaching right near the end of the season, so I can see how he would let to fill in for a couple of weeks. She is super brilliant, remember that computer corporation that was recruiting her when she was only a junior. :)

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
I figured that since Cordelia was once again distanced from them in season 3 her leaving wouldn't be a factor they would mention deeply. They did throw in a line in "Pangs" though from willow to Angel.
I missed that line completely, but that was six or seven eps into the season. I'm not saying the had to have a 'very special Buffy' dedicated to Cordelia's departure, but a throwaway exchange at the beginning of the season would have been nice. I'm sure had I been into the show at the time, I would have watched Angel and it wouldn't have bugged me. But since I *can't* watch Angel, it does. :)
As for the Willow teaching thing, it's just not something that could be done in the real world. There would have to be some kind of adult supervision in the classroom, even if she were in fact 'teaching' the class. I have to admit that it's a goofy thing for me to obssess about, since for three years at Sunnydale High the school library mostly consisted of occult books and was a storage locker for heavy-duty weaponry. :D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I took Willow's teaching to be an indication of how little Principal Snyder cared about the computer class (as if he were thinking "those damn kids and their gadgets"). In the scene where he asks Willow to stay on (I forget which episode), it was obviously something he wanted to stay as far away from as possible.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks