Question concerning Speaker Height

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_Victor, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Michael_Victor

Michael_Victor Stunt Coordinator

I have a 6.1 system by pioneer on my 65 HDTV and am curious about speaker height. I have the wires run in the attic and the speakers are on brackets that are directly off the ceiling. I have 8 foot ceilings so i'm guessing the speakers are 7 1/2 feet off the ground. From reading the Dolby page, It seems as if I have them too high; however, I have them angled downwards towards the listening area. Is this a good enough format to remedy the situation. In addition. my center speaker is a good 2 or 3 feet lower than the fronts, should I leave it and lower the firing level of the fronts as well or make a shelf for the center? I figured a shelf would make the speaker too high. at least the other speakers are firing downward.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Most often you'll hear advice telling you to have the tweeters as close as possible to ear level, especially for the mains.

The front 3 should be on the same horizontal plane, but that's not practical in most cases.

Also, if it sounds good to you, it ain't broke, but experiment and you may learn a lot!

- CM