What's new

Sound Formats? (1 Viewer)

Legendary70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rudy
Is this true.....

Dolby Pro Logic® IIz processing lets you use front "height" speakers instead of back surrounds, for a taller soundstage?

So what exactly does Dolby PLIIx concentrate on?

The IIx is the one I use all the time when I am watching tv or movies....it seems like the center channel is fuller with this option?

Which surround channel (if there is a specific one) is used more often to watch movies like Avatar, Rambo (the new one), Interstellar, battle LA, etc?

The above question is more of which sound will give me the full potential of my 7.2 surround? as far as movies are concerned?

What surround format do YOU like using and why?

[SIZE=13.3333330154419px]thx. :rolleyes:[/SIZE][SIZE=13.3333330154419px] [/SIZE]

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you have a 9 channel receiver you can have Back Surrounds and front Heights With DolbyIIz.

I have two 5.1 systems (but would like to try front heigths someday) so I really can't add anything to your inquiry. For stereo movies/tv I prefer DTS Neo:6. Two channel music, Pure Direct.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've used height for a few years. Had a Yamaha long ago(component video, pre-HDMI) that had Presence. I think it was a 5490.

Most modern 7/9 channel AVR have IAD(Intelligent Amp Design).

So on many AVR you can wire up both 7 channel and 5+ height. Then cycle through the sound modes.

I think all the 9 channel AVR(except Yamaha) allow you to wire up both height and width. Some Denon can even run 5 channel plus height and width at the same time.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Legendary70 said:
Is this true.....

Dolby Pro Logic[emoji768] IIz processing lets you use front "height" speakers instead of back surrounds, for a taller soundstage?

So what exactly does Dolby PLIIx concentrate on?

The IIx is the one I use all the time when I am watching tv or movies....it seems like the center channel is fuller with this option?

Which surround channel (if there is a specific one) is used more often to watch movies like Avatar, Rambo (the new one), Interstellar, battle LA, etc?
I may've answered you on this before, but IIx will utilize Surrounds more than front height/presence.

I use IIx Music more than IIx Movie, as it's meant more for 2.0 music sources, but will decode Dolby Surround the same. Big difference: you can adjust the "width" of the center channel (sound content that is matrix decoded to be in the center, but is also augmented by the sides for a more realistic concert hall sound). I adjust the width from default 3 on my AVR to 2, because I use it for films, but it lets the front main speakers emphasize the center, and makes the center "sound" wider.

It's my go-to program for mono films that are presented in 2.0. Sounds way better than just mono in 1.0 or 2.0 using IIx Movie.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If your talking sound formats in the DVD days I preferred DTS! Now that we have Blu-ray discs I prefer lossless audio uncompressed pcm, DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD. For the surround mode I ether use the THX mode or unflavored mode that does not add anything to the decoding of the audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks