What's new

Question About TV Network Job Functions (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have a question about the job functions at the TV stations and Networks.

I was wondering who it is at a TV network that makes decisions about their use of a pop-up ads and on-screen logos? Is it the program director, marketing director? If not, who.

I was also wondering if there are any members here that work for a TV station or Network. I am working on an article and would love to get some answers from someone on the inside.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Years ago I wanted to work in TV, my dream job was being program director for an independent station showing movies, local programs, syndicated shows and reruns, but alas those stations are gone now. I'm glad I decided not to work in the business as I don't think I could be in the same room with anyone who thinks continous onscreen logos are a good idea without throwing punches at them. I also wanted to work in radio but one brief paying job playing music I could barely stand at odd hours of the night showed me my heart just wasn't in it. While radio hasn't become the complete disgrace TV has, it's still not what it used to be. I have more principles than most people though- I left my last movie theater job because the company wanted the screen masking adjusted between the slide ads and the movie, and I refused to do that.

I would still like to know what exactly the networks have GAINED by using onscreen logos- not speculation, but actual FACTS. I know that for me they have caused me to drop my TV watching from 7 days a week to zero and lose all respect for the business. I thought with the arrival of HDTV that would bring about more emphasis on the technical quality of programming, but they're still putting logos on that so that's caused me not to be as eager to upgrade my set to HD as it would have been if HDTV was logo-free. It's positively baffling that at least for HD, the networks haven't been taken to task for ruining the picture with logos. You would think especially on forums like this more people would be furious about it.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm a News-Photog for an ABC affiliate. But I don't think I'll be much help since that is about as far removed from the network decision makers as you can get!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks