What's new

Question about theaters (1 Viewer)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I was going to post this in the Movies forum, but it seemed like more of a poll:

Would you pay a couple of dollars extra to watch movies in a "luxury" theater? Comfier seats, more leg room, extra-wide armrests built for two, strictly enforced "no cell phones/pagers/children" policy? Access to a luxury (read: CLEAN) bathroom? What other luxuries would you want in a theater? How much extra would you pay?

I'm not planning on opening a theater or anything, I'm just curious.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
We already have something like that in Toronto.
They call it the V.I.P. room and it has everything that you mentioned above (except for the separate toilets)
They also have small tables, coat-checks, and you can order concessions from your seat and have them brought to you at any time you designate.
For this they charge about $2-$3 more than the regular price, but I have never personally used it...I'm too cheap and anti-elitist. ;)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
strictly enforced "no cell phones/pagers/children" policy?
Although I'm a teenager myself, I'd like to add another rule: No more than three teenagers in a row. And yeah, I would definately pay. There was so much extraneous noise in my sold-out showing of Spiderman, and the people in front of me decided to get up and leave during the astounding final shot, partially blocking my view.:angry: :angry:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If I still frequented commercial cinemas, I suppose I'd consider such an option. What you describe reminds me of the amenities I can find each night in my home theater, though--which is why I don't go out to commercial cinemas much any more.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Here's my idea of the perfect theater:
Projection/Auditorium:
- 35mm and 70mm capabilities. Can use Vitaphone, Movietone, optical, magnetic, and Dolby Digital/DTS digital sound formats. Also show DLP. Speakers should be 1.0 to all the way to 7.1.
- 25' wide screen. Can show 1.25:1 (Movietone) to 2.55:1 (pre-1960 CinemaScope) on the flat screen and 2.59:1 Cinerama on the curved screen (with the proper "venetion blinds" strips) with proper mattes.
- Soundproof ceiling, flooring, and walls.
- THX cert.
Seating:
- Leather ultra-comfy seats
- drink holders
- foot rests
Misc:
- Have REAL popcorn. I'm talking about coconut oil, not canola! :D
- Have bottled drinks instead of fountain
- The program should be as follows:
1. 2 Trailers
2. short subject (a cartoon or other short such as a Three Stooges short)
3. Feature
4. Intermission
5. another short subject
6. Second feature
In the old days, you could see 2 movies, a few shorts, a newsreels, and some trailers for under a dollar. Bring the theater experience back!

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I would pay an extra 2-3 dollars for all of those extras.
No more than three teenagers in a row
I hear that. Although being a teenager myself I have been exposed to this many times with my friends. It starts to wear on you after about 10 minutes.:thumbsdown:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Add to that...

- Proper calibration of all audio/video equipment.

- Play the movie at a decently loud level (none of this strain to hear stuff)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Slightly off topic, but do any of your local cinemas have a 'Mystery Shopper' program in place?

I'm a mystery shopper for my local Cineplex-Odeon and it's great!

Basically I receive passes for admission and gift certificates for the concession stand throughout the year.

Anonymously, I rate the level of staff service, toilet and food conditions, and most importantly...film and sound presentation!

Through this program, I've managed to have dim projector bulbs changed, proper focus, decent sound levels and silenced ushers who felt that it was OK to scream and yell at each other during end credits.

I suggest that you enquire at your local theatre chain (not the cinemas themselves) to see if there is a similar program in place.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
In New York, we already pay 2 or 3 extra dollars just to see a film here. I don't think I can afford to pay more than what I'm paying now ($10). I'll stick with my current way of seeing films in theaters - waiting a few weeks so that the theater won't be too crowded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks