What's new

Question about sibiliance. (1 Viewer)

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator
My center channel (Athena AS-C1) seems to be very bright. It has alot of sibilance and female voices sound bright and harsh. My receiver has a center channel equalizer, I'm curious as to what frequency produces the most sibilance and female voices. Is it more midrage (3k-5k) or higher (10k plus). I can understand that it varies between system and room. But just in general. Thanks.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You're fortunate to have a center channel EQ with adjustable frequencies.

If the overall sound is bright, you might need an basic roll off of the high frequencies. If the treble EQ is shelving, start at about 6 kHz. Experiment with different cut values and frequency centers until you get something that sounds right. If you move the frequency setting, you’ll probably want to move it lower.

If it’s merely sibilants that are the problem, and not the highs in general, and if your treble EQ can be set for bandpass, try cutting a few dB between 6-10 kHz.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks alot Wayne, I cut a little bit out from 3k to 10k the majority being at 6k and it sounds wonderful now, really knocked down the sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks