What's new

Question about quality of Progressive DVD vs. HDTV signal (1 Viewer)

Mark Giles

Second Unit
I went to my local electronics store last night and saw they just got in these new sony 65in wv series:
kp-65wv600
They were receiving a HDTV signal with a dish that made the movie on the tv look PERFECT!!! I then asked if they could hook up there best progressive scan dvd player to the tv so I could see the quality of the picture. Watching Gladiator, I noticed the picture wasn't nearly as good as the HDTV signal. Why is this? Was there a setting on the player he didn't set right? I would think that the dvd player would give the best picture out of any source. Can someone explain this to me?

Paul.R.J

Auditioning
Mark

I had the same problem when I went to see the Sony 57" I bought. After some further investigating they had the progressive scan DVD hooked up through the S-Video. I asked them to use the component and it showed a beautiful picture.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Progressive scan DVD players are wonderful, but are not close to HDTV on a professionally calibrated display.

A good progressive scan player yields a nice, smooth 480 horizontal lines of resolution, while HDTV is 1080 lines (or less often, 720 progressive lines)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Even if they hook it up correctly and enable progressive playabck (which at some stores is a crap shoot in itself)-- progressive DVD is a little more than 1/2 the resolution of true HDTV- so chances are that HTDV will look obviously better than Progressive DVD, even to an un-experienced eye.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks