What's new

Sony vs. Samsung? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Cas

Agent
I am trying to decide between a Sony Wega FV-32FS13 and Samsung TXM2796HF. Both can be had for about the same price, but I wonder if HDTV capability is a good trade off for the size(and reputation) of the Sony. Has anyone had any positive/negative experiences with these two sets? Also, when watching DVD's(I plan on running a Toshiba 5700 hooked up with a bettercables silver serpent component), how does a 16:9 enhanced mode(called V-Compression on the Sony), compare with what would be a progressive signal on the Samsung? The Samsung dosent have 16:9 enhanced, but am I correct in assuming a TV capable of displaying a progressive signal dosent need it? Also, this particular model samsung doesn't have 3:2 pulldown, but since my player does, I dont need to worry about that right? I've heard some favorable things about Samsung in general, but people seem to rave about the Sony's, and Im more familiar, and comfortable, with the Sony name. Any info. that anyone could offer that could help me better compare the two products(Build quality, audio performance, reliablity, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. I realize my question is a little broad, and I thank everyone who answers in advance.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
The Samsung does have the 16:9 squeeze. Should be just a push of the button on the remote. Progressive scan will blow away a non-progressive scan Wega. I luv my TSL3294HF and will put it up against any Sony 32" I have seen.

Rob Jeffrey

Auditioning
I recently picked up a KV36FS13 at a local South Florida “superstore” (Brandsmart) for $899 marked as a “clearance” item. After a few tweaks with AVIA the picture is stunning, especially in 16x9 mode. (Out of the box, however, the picture sucked). Of course the Samsung would in theory provide a “better” picture, but your viewing distance needs to be considered above all else, I think. I looked at spending an extra $400 to go with a 32” HD ready set, but at my viewing distance of 12’ I can’t see scan lines in the 16x9 mode, although I can just make them out otherwise, and the larger picture is worth it to me.

There’s no question a comparably sized HD ready set would be the way to go, but if you need to worry about money, I would go with the 32” WEGA unless you plan on sitting 5’ from the set, in which case go with the Samsung.

The only problems I’ve noticed with my set so far are the apparently common problems of variable brightness - which in my set is only noticeable when the screen is completely black, and does not affect the black letterboxing in 2.35:1 movies in the slightest - and a faint but distracting line traveling from left to right when watching DVDs through component inputs. This last was easily fixed after reading on this forum that there is some interference from the S-video input, so now I just make sure my satellite receiver is turned off when I watch DVDs.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks