What's new

Question about "Leaving Las Vegas" (1 Viewer)

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I saw this movie about 5 years ago. A thread here at the HTF prompted me to give it another viewing which I did. There were 2 scenes which to me seem to be missing.

I could have sworn there was a scene where the girl/prostitute (Elizabeth Shue?) straddles Nicholas Cage in a convertible car. They have sex. She ends up pregnant and there's a line about how this is the only good thing he's ever done or something like that. Is my memory splicing two different movies into one or are there different versions for this movie?

Esten

Supporting Actor
Link Removed Under alternate versions it says the unrated version contains more explicit material.
I haven't seen the movie in years,so i can't say.
Oh,for those that saw it in the theater... how was the video? It was shot super 16mm,so i was just wondering of the quality.:)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Sounds to me like you're mixing "10 Things to do in Denver When You're Dead" with "Leaving Las Vegas". Shue never gets pregnant in Vegas...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Sounds to me like you're mixing "10 Things to do in Denver When You're Dead" with "Leaving Las Vegas". Shue never gets pregnant in Vegas...
And she didn't get pregnant in 10 Things To Do in Denver When You're Dead either...because she wasn't in it. :D I know that wasn't what you were saying, Quentin...just pokin some fun. As far as the two films go, I haven't seen either in over 5 years myself. I do remember enjoying "10 Things" immensely (Mr. Shhh is a classic character). Time for a revisit for both films.
Bruce

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
There are two versions of Leaving Las Vegas... the R-rated and Unrated versions. The current bare bones MGM disc (which will probably never be revisited) includes the unrated version.

However, the difference between the two versions is negligable at best. The only difference is the inclusion of literally 5-10 seconds of dialogue during one of the interviews when Shue is describing an encounter with a trick. She goes into 'more detail.'

Count me in as someone who has always appreciated this film and despite the brutal backlash it received after its initial theatrical run. Some say it glorifies and romanticizes alcoholism, that the whole film is a cliche, etc, and while I don't agree, everyone is entitled to an opinion. The soundtrack (by director Figgis) is pretty amazing.

Although I felt that Shue was overrated in the role. She's was too self conscious an actress to be convincing as a world weary prostitute.

Anyway, I strayed way off-topic, but no one really talks about this movie anymore.

Joseph

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Weird, I thought it was a perfect example of a movie that doesn't glorify drinking at all. He's a pathetic loser (at least in his own mind) with nothing to live for, and he wants to drink himself to death. How is that glorifying alcoholism, I wonder?
I think it's a great movie, really depressing, and Cage did an amazing job. I could almost smell his foul breath in the theater. :)
/Mike

Jodee

Screenwriter
I still think the scene when she gives him the flask is one of the most heartbreakingly romantic things I've ever seen on celluloid.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Quentin, you were right. Last week I saw "Things to do in Denver when you're dead" again. My failing memory spliced the two movies together.

Great lines from that movie:
"I am Godzilla !!! You are Japan !!!"
"Boat drinks"
"Give it a name"
"Jimmy da Saint. In his day, the bitches bastard"
"You better take somma that bass out your voice"
"Buckwheats. All of em"
"Mr. Shusssh"
"It keeps my powder dry"
"Officer Leper"

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
LLV doesn't glorify addiction, at least, not the movie I remember watching that had "Leaving Las Vegas" on the title card. Cage's character achieves satisfaction by doing the one thing he feels he has left available to him he can succeed at ... drinking himself to death. He said it several times in the film, that his goal was to simply drink himself to death, and in the end he finally made it.

Very tough film to watch, but very good.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"However, the difference between the two versions is negligable at best. The only difference is the inclusion of literally 5-10 seconds of dialogue during one of the interviews when Shue is describing an encounter with a trick. She goes into 'more detail.' "

The Oral sex scene in the motel is different as well. Shot from a different angle.

In the R version its from Cages back but the unrated shows Shue from behind with her head going up and down.

Excellent movie.Its very underrated IMHO.

Jim-G

Auditioning
I love this movie

It is not a "feel good" movie, but it is a great flick.

They never actually have sex until the end when he is on his deathbed (its even mentioned in the dialog somewhere that they have never slept together)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks