What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Question about home video distribution rights (1 Viewer)

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Does anyone know what companies have to current R1 distribution rights for the following films?

Five Graves to Cairo (1943)
Fedora (1978)
Streamers (1983)

The Offence (1972)
Johnny Guitar (1954)
Robbery (1967)
The Savage Innocents (1960)
The Slender Thread (1965)

None of them are on DVD and I was just wondering if they were in rights limbo or their respective owners don't seem them as profitable. Very much appreciate any help.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Universal has FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO, Lionsgate has JOHNNY GUITAR, Paramount has THE SLENDER THREAD and I believe Warners has FEDORA (they own the Lorimar library, no?)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
According to a previous Warner chat, FEDORA is no longer theirs. While Lorimar was one of the production companies on the movie, the majority financing came from a German tax shelter company, and the rights have reverted to them.

STREAMERS, while it was released by United Artists Classics, I believe is now owned by Peace Arch.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck

According to a previous Warner chat, FEDORA is no longer theirs. While Lorimar was one of the production companies on the movie, the majority financing came from a German tax shelter company, and the rights have reverted to them.
I thought the Wilder Estate had some claim to Fedora also.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
So are the two Nick Ray films owned by Paramount or Lionsgate? I've also heard Robbery is owned by Paramount but someone else has said Lionsgate as well. Which is it?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MLamarre

So are the two Nick Ray films owned by Paramount or Lionsgate? I've also heard Robbery is owned by Paramount but someone else has said Lionsgate as well. Which is it?
Johnny Guitar is owned by Paramount but licensed to Lionsgate along with most of the other film in the Republic Catalog. To this day, I have never understood why Lionsgate licensed those films since they have no interest in doing anything with them.

The Savage Innocents was released by Paramount to theatres and there is a small chance it is still be in their control, but I think all rights worldwide are now controlled by Pathe International. They originally produced the film and since Rank released it in Great Britain, Pathe would be the main rights holder and just sold on territory basis for theatrical exhibition.

Robbery is very convoluted on who owns the rights. It was released by Embassy Films, but through it's sale to other companies and a succession on bankruptcies of those companies, the films were split up among several companies, with most going to MGM. Studio Canal, Lionsgate, and Paramount also own several titles. Sorry I just don't know who ended up with this title

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
There's a good R2 version of THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS released by Masters of Cinema.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now sadly OOP and replaced by a frankly embarrassing p&s version from UK rights holders ITV DVD. Robbery is owned by Studio Canal in the UK, so it could pitch up with Lionsgate in the US.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Bob Graham

There's a good R2 version of THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS released by Masters of Cinema.
Unfortunately that was discontinued very quickly. It seems there was a problem with the rights. It's been reissued on the ITV label (who presumably had the rights all along) apparently in a terrible pan & scan version and without the extras on the excellent Masters of Cinema edition.

Edit; Sorry John - I was typing this before your reply appeared!

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Originally Posted by ahollis
Johnny Guitar is owned by Paramount but licensed to Lionsgate along with most of the other film in the Republic Catalog. To this day, I have never understood why Lionsgate licensed those films since they have no interest in doing anything with them.
Properties to put up as collateral against huge bank loans (back when banks were actually loaning money).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Considering Paramount's track record, I'd say there's a better chance of Lionsgate putting out JOHNNY GUITAR than if Paramount had retained control. It's a cult classic screaming for the Criterion treatment and I suspect (just guessing here) that Criterion has probably investigated the possibility of licensing but the restoration required would be cost prohibitive for them.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Thomas T

Considering Paramount's track record, I'd say there's a better chance of Lionsgate putting out JOHNNY GUITAR than if Paramount had retained control. It's a cult classic screaming for the Criterion treatment and I suspect (just guessing here) that Criterion has probably investigated the possibility of licensing but the restoration required would be cost prohibitive for them.
I am not sure that would be true. Paramount actually had announced the DVD release a few years ago, but scratched it when the re-entered into a deal with Lionsgate. Paramount had control of the Republic films for about five months. Artisan had the rights from Spelling Entertainment. The rights returned to Paramount about the time Artisan was sold to Lionsgate. Then a few months later Paramount licensed all films except It's A Wonderful Life and the Spelling TV shows to Lionsgate.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Furthermore Paramount released the movie in Spain/France in an accpetable edition: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews17/johnny_guitar_dvd_review.htm
Would be a nice title for the Centennial Edition treatment.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
[COLOR= #0000ff]JOHNNY GUITAR is also being held up by restoration issues. TruColor's a bitch.

Mike S.[/COLOR]

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Marcel H.

Furthermore Paramount released the movie in Spain/France in an accpetable edition: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews17/johnny_guitar_dvd_review.htm
Would be a nice title for the Centennial Edition treatment.
It would make a good Centennial Edition if Paramount controlled the rights in the US. Does anyone know how long Paramount's agreement with Lionsgate lasts?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The Kinowelt version of Johnny Guitar is the best and available at Amazon/Ge. The title on the cover is German, but a purely English audio track is available inside.

According to the Beaver comparison, that's the very best of the three they compared.

Cees

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Cees Alons

The Kinowelt version of Johnny Guitar is the best and available at Amazon/Ge. The title on the cover is German, but a purely English audio track is available inside.

According to the Beaver comparison, that's the very best of the three they compared.

Cees
According to my eyes the Paramount DVD is much better, and it's available in Holland, France and Australia. Here is a french review: http://www.dvdrama.com/fiche.php?9142

I sold the Kinowelt DVD after watching both.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I agree with the assessment that the Spanish Paramount DVD is by far the best. I had the German Kinowelt version, which was better than the Universal UK edition I had before it, but all of the releases pale next to the Spanish Paramount DVD. Clearer, sharper, better color...

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Another vote here for the Paramount DVD of Johnny Guitar. It's easily the best version I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks