What's new

Question about DVD-Audio compatibility. (1 Viewer)

TonyH

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying the DVD-Audio version of Bjork's Vespertine CD but I have a few questions first.

1. Will I be able to play the 5.1 track on my DVD player or do I need a DVD-Audio player?

2. Can I play this DVD in a regular CD player or would I have to buy the regular CD to play in my car?

Great forum BTW.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Tony,

The answer to question 1 is yes you will be able to play this on your DVD player that is not DVD-A compliant. Almost all DVD-A's have a Dolby Digital 5.1 track at least and sometimes a DTS one as well.

The answer to question 2 is no you cannot play it on a regular CD player. The player must be a DVD player of some sort for it to play.

Patrick

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Here's a related question. What bitrate, typically, are the DVD-Video compatible DD5.1 mixes encoded at? Does it vary?

Regards,

TonyH

Auditioning
Thanks PatrickM.

I know I'm going to buy it, since I've downloaded the entire CD and already know that I love it, but I'm just not sure which format to buy.

As much as I want to experience Vespertine in 5.1, I listen to most of my music in my car, at work or sittin at my computer at home. Rarely do I listen to music sitting on my couch.

Oh well, I'll think about it some more.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ken, I don't know what bitrate(s) is/are used for Dolby Digital tracks on DVD-Audio discs. I imagine it could vary. All I do know is that the Dolby Digital tracks are nowhere near as good as the DVD-Audio tracks. I have yet to hear a Dolby Digital track on a DVD-Audio disc that rivals a quality Dolby Digital music DVD like James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, it will not sound great. If there's a dts track that will be pretty good, but the DD tracks I've sampled were not very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks