Question about DVD-Audio compatibility.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyH, Jan 16, 2002.

1. TonyH

TonyH Auditioning

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying the DVD-Audio version of Bjork's Vespertine CD but I have a few questions first.

1. Will I be able to play the 5.1 track on my DVD player or do I need a DVD-Audio player?

2. Can I play this DVD in a regular CD player or would I have to buy the regular CD to play in my car?

Great forum BTW.

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Tony,

The answer to question 1 is yes you will be able to play this on your DVD player that is not DVD-A compliant. Almost all DVD-A's have a Dolby Digital 5.1 track at least and sometimes a DTS one as well.

The answer to question 2 is no you cannot play it on a regular CD player. The player must be a DVD player of some sort for it to play.

Patrick

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Here's a related question. What bitrate, typically, are the DVD-Video compatible DD5.1 mixes encoded at? Does it vary?

Regards,

4. TonyH

TonyH Auditioning

Thanks PatrickM.

I know I'm going to buy it, since I've downloaded the entire CD and already know that I love it, but I'm just not sure which format to buy.

As much as I want to experience Vespertine in 5.1, I listen to most of my music in my car, at work or sittin at my computer at home. Rarely do I listen to music sitting on my couch.

Oh well, I'll think about it some more.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken, I don't know what bitrate(s) is/are used for Dolby Digital tracks on DVD-Audio discs. I imagine it could vary. All I do know is that the Dolby Digital tracks are nowhere near as good as the DVD-Audio tracks. I have yet to hear a Dolby Digital track on a DVD-Audio disc that rivals a quality Dolby Digital music DVD like James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Agreed, it will not sound great. If there's a dts track that will be pretty good, but the DD tracks I've sampled were not very impressive.