What's new

Question about convergence on Tosh xxh81 (1 Viewer)

GaryP

Second Unit
Guys,

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question, so I figure here is the best place to find out. While I do know how to perform the 56pt convergence, what I can't seem to find a consensus on what mode(s) this should be performed on. (TV is a 50h81)

So, do I:

a)Do a convergence of each input (vid 1, vid 2, hd 1, etc)

b)Do a convergence for pic size (Full, Theaterwide 1, 2, 3)

c)Do a convergence off of grids from different source material (480i, 480p, 1080i)

Lastly,

Is there a different grid template for HD material, or would I use the same template for that as well.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Gary

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Gary,

That is a very good question. I would love to hear an answer to that also. I am not sure whether to do convergence for each input, or different stretch modes for each input.

Steve Zatkoff

Stunt Coordinator
Gary and Jeff,
The convergence on the XXh81 and XXhx81 models are done by input. if you had an older model, you would also have to converge each mode(ie. Full, TW1, etc....) I have the 50hx81 and have done my convergence in the normal(4:3) mode. The grid template is the same for each input and for proper convergence you should have a grid overlay, and converge your green lines to that first and then converge the red and blue to the green.
Check this thread out from the HTS:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...&f=21&t=004253

GaryP

Second Unit
Steve,

I had already come across that thread before posting here. So, just to clarify, do I need to enter the service mode while I am feeding a specific source,(1080i, 480i, 480p) or do I just converge each input regardless of what it will be fed?

I do have a grid template on the way, I just want to get all my ducks in a row before I start working on it.

Thanks,

Gary

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
GaryP,

For the 2001/2002 models (H and HX series), you will need to perform the convergence for each input.

When you do this, you should have a signal active for that input. For example, if you were going to converge input 4 (HD/Colorstream #1), you would want to have, say, your DVD player on and playing through component or S-video inputs for input 4.

Here is the key...when you perform the convergence (for any input) you want to have the unit set to FULL (picture mode). These new sets derive the convergence for the other modes from the FULL mode. In other words, use the FULL picture mode as the "master convergence" for each input.

This is the way it was explained to me. Hope this helps.

-Ross

Oh yeah...regarding inputs...1080i and 480i/p should not need seperate convergence as the 480 signals are scaled up to 540p. As 540p is simply a multiple of 1080i, they use the same parameters.

GaryP

Second Unit
Ross,

Sounds good to me. Just wanted to be sure I was clear on a couple of points. I didn't want to sit there just hackin' away at convergence, only to find out I should have done it some other way.

Thanks for the help guys,

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks