What's new

Question about cell phones (1 Viewer)

TreyP

Stunt Coordinator
I have this phone that I bought a long time ago (like 3-4 years ago). It was one of the first digital phones to hit the market (Siemens S12). It is the type that takes the SIM card. I haven't used it for over 2 years, its just been sitting in a closet the whole time. So last week, I go dig it out of my closet and take it up to a new service provider (Cingular). I buy a new SIM card and some prepaid minutes on the new card. Now the only problem is, my phone is not wanting to work properly, so after talking with and going round and round withSiemens and Cingular for days about getting this phone to work, I've just decided that I'll just buy a new phone. This one is way outdated anyway. So now, I'm not really looking to get anything fancy, just want to be able to talk, but don't want anything that is soon to be obsolete either. How do I know which ones I can buy and just be able to put my SIM card in and use? I know that most places try to sell you the phone with a plan already on it. But that's not what I want. I am looking at phones on eBay, and I notice, some of them say "unlocked" on it, or whatever. How do I know if I buy a phone will I be able to just pop my SIM card in and use it? And even if I can't, what do I have to do to be able to use the phone?

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
www.howardchui.com is a good mobile phone site with reviews and good forum base -- however, most of the people in the forums are very young or either immature - however, there is a lot of good information there.
As for as getting a new phone, just make sure it's a Cingular phone or unlocked - unlocked meaning that it was not a subsidy phone from a major carrier (AT&T, voicestream, Cingular, etc.)
I personally like the Nokia's -- they have a very simple interface that is common throughout the line, for the most part. They may not have all the "latest and greatest" features that the Ericson's have -- such as GPRS, bluetooth, WAP, etc.
I have had a 8290 and now have a 8890 - both are great models, and with the 8290 being discontinued now, you should be able to get it for under $100 -- just make sure you have the proper warranty and all as these phone do sometimes have screen problems. Other than that, excellent quality and SMALL SMALL size.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks