What's new

Question About 4K Viewing (1 Viewer)

stevenHa

Second Unit
I haven't set up my 4K player yet but from people who have - do you need different TV settings to view a 4K disc as opposed to a regular blu ray disc ?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My TV switches to a different mode with different settings- you can make adjustments on it which won’t affect the settings for 1080. It’s a bit hard to set as I’ve never found any test patterns in 4K, there are some on Sony discs but they don’t include color bars!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I haven't set up my 4K player yet but from people who have - do you need different TV settings to view a 4K disc as opposed to a regular blu ray disc ?
Which 4K display do you have?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Some displays require you to turn on deep color on the television (and/or in the player) before it will display the full rec. 2020 UHD picture with HDR.

stevenHa

Second Unit
I have a 65 inch LG OLED - I saw a comparison on YOUTUBE for Warcraft and the film was very dark and didn't match the blu ray until the settings were changed according to what was appropriate for 4K. Having to play around with the settings if I switch back and forth between regular viewing/blu rays and 4K seems very bothersome.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have a 65 inch LG OLED - I saw a comparison on YOUTUBE for Warcraft and the film was very dark and didn't match the blu ray until the settings were changed according to what was appropriate for 4K. Having to play around with the settings if I switch back and forth between regular viewing/blu rays and 4K seems very bothersome.
As mentioned above, some displays store separate settings for different formats. For example, my Vizio M70-D3 stores settings for SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision and automatically loads the proper saved settings as the format changes. There are quite a few LG OLED owners here, so I am sure someone can provide insight on how its settings work.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
So does the LG OLED, Steven, so you won't have to worry about switching settings once you get them dialed in to start. The TV will do it automatically depending on what the player transmits.

stevenHa

Second Unit
So I just get the TV calibrated in one mode for everything (Geek Guys usually calibrate one picture mode like Expert daylight) or do I have to get an additional mode calibrated like HDR mode for the 4K material ?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So I just get the TV calibrated in one mode for everything (Geek Guys usually calibrate one picture mode like Expert daylight) or do I have to get an additional mode calibrated like HDR mode for the 4K material ?
If your LG display is like my Vizio, each mode will need a unique calibration. In the case of my Vizio, I had to actually feed the display each of three modes (SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision) in order to calibrate for each. I doubt any displays out there are optimal using the same settings for different modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks