What's new

PW-2200 Resale Price (1 Viewer)

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about selling my PW-2200 and getting a SVS instead. But I need to get a good price on the PW-2200 or its not worth the effort. So I look in ebay and Audiogon trying to find how much PW-2200 are worth but I couldn't find anything. Anyone here might be able to tell me how much they think a mint about 1 year young Paradigm PW-2200 might go for? Thanks in advance.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
the PW2200 is a very good subwoofer, before you do sell it..can I ask what type of performance increase you are looking for from the SVS?(and which SVS you are looking to go with?).

TV

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Michael,

My guess would be that people like their PW-2200's so well they DON'T want to sell them.

I just ordered one, many people here on the HTF have told me I should get a SVS. But when I go to the SVS website, they try to sell you two (2) if your room is large like mine, 20' X 24'. Plus, I have a problem buying something site unseen or unheard!!

They ought to change the name of this forum to SVS HTF.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I have a problem buying something site unseen or unheard!!
Alan - I'm buying a single SVS 35-31PCi for my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room sight unseen in person or unheard via audition.
After living with and using a number passive to powered subwoofers since the early 1980's, I knew from experience after reading the design philosophy behind the SVS and professional (i.e. Tom Nousaine, Peter Staddon - 20th Century Fox, etc. - basically the boys with unlimited budgets to compare the SVS with other subs) / personal SVS reviews, that the 25-31Pci will out perform & outclass many, if not all commercial sub costing more, especially in it’s bargain basement INTRO price, but specifically @ the later set MSRP.
Besides, long time audiophiles know that between 16Hz to 60 Hz, a great sub will give you a sense of power, which is felt more than heard. A poorly design sub with a large frequency peak @ 50Hz will sound muddy. Between 60Hz to as high as 250Hz, is where the fundamentals of the rhythm section is. A poorly designed sub with a rising peak between 60Hz to 100Hz will sound fat, making music boomy. SVS was carefully designed to extend your HT System low-frequency bandwidth, so it could go louder, deeper, with no intrusion on the upper ranges of your system. Tom basically designed the SVS to shake your structure, the earth, and leave an aftershock, increasing the sense of acoustic depth and envelopment with your DVD movies. Since his graph also shows it to have a very flat power bandwidth across it’s operational range (most subs don’t), I expect my Jazz CD Music to benefit as well, without the music sounding muddy, fat or boomy. Can’t wait to get my 25-31Pci! :D
Phil

Mark KU

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Alan, for your sake I hope you don't get the chance to hear an SVS. I get the feeling from looking at the specs you'll regret your decision to go with the PW-2200, especially at the price you paid. Personally, I have dual 20-39s and couldn't imagine watching movies or listening to music without them.

One other point, I noticed you had a Velodyne sub before, not a Paradigm. Did you audition the 2200 before you ordered it, or are you buying it sight unseen/unheard?

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
While I can't say that I would word my thoughts as Alan has, it is completely fair to say that this forum has SVS on the brain. Don't get me wrong, they are great subs and I plan to give them a portion of my hard earned money someday, but there ARE other subs out there. It seems these days that no one can mention those other subs without someone invariably waltzing into the thread and telling (not suggesting, *cough* Mark) people that there are no other options than SVS and that money spent any other way is completely wasted.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Thank you Dave!!
Mark, Mark, Mark, I "have" auditioned the PW-2200. But I have read so much about these SVS subs, that it has got me wanting to hear them. There is a fellow here in my hometown who has a pair in his setup. I have e-mailed him on several occasions to see if I could hear his, no response!
He must not really have them and just wants to jump on the bandwagon by claiming he has them as all of these other people around here have, or he is afraid I am a sicko!! :angry:
I WILL NOT BUY THEM IF I CAN NOT LISTEN TO THEM FIRST.
And have you seen how many post that Tom guy from SVS has posted pushing his product....The owners of this forum should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Now Alan, *that* is not fair, TV is the best and brightest we have for subwoofer information. There is no reason why he shouldn't give his advice. I've never seen him push his product in an inappropriate way, and in fact in this VERY THREAD he does the exact opposite...

Shame on *you*

I have no problem with anyone suggesting SVS subs, as they are, bar none, the best subs out there. My point was that other subs and sub owners are being, at times, inappropriately put down.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
re: www.audioenvy.com, does the search look in only the 'home' ZIP code? I live in a small town where I'm sure that no one else as even heard of HT :) but I'm willing to travel quite a way to hear a demo. Should I just look up the a ZIP code in the nearest big city?

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Thanks Juan, I have registered. Someone in Northern Kentucky is listed as having SVS subs. I will go and listen to them ASAP.

My Paradigm dealer says it could take a few weeks for it to come in...I've bought alot of stuff from them. I hope they understand if I change my mind.

Dave, T.V. has nearly 5000 post, mainly involving subs, it just looks bad. I see you'd like to hear the SVS's also. I will change my mind if they are that good!! Of course T.V. might not sell them to me after all this.

Tom, I did do a search on your post and you do seem to have a wealth of knowledge on this subject, nothing personnal is meant by my observations.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I just ordered one, many people here on the HTF have told me I should get a SVS. But when I go to the SVS website, they try to sell you two (2) if your room is large like mine, 20' X 24'.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Dave, T.V. has nearly 5000 post, mainly involving subs, it just looks bad.>>Tom, I did do a search on your post and you do seem to have a wealth of knowledge on this subject, nothing personnal is ment by my observations.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Yes I agree with this guy. I'm new to this forum and I was wandering about this SVS propaganda. Living in Canada, there is no way I would pay that much money for SVS. I just bought a Servo-15 = X-30 for 1100$ Cdn dollars!!! It's around 700$ US. The SVS guys should be fair and stop pushing SVS to canadians, with our dollar so weak!!! I'm not saying SVS is not a superior product then Paradigm. But it's not a good deal for a canadian buyer. If I was using US dollars, then it would be a different story.

I just think that the forum here is a little prevaricate over SVS. It's a good think to do money, but don't push the capitalism to far.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Tom, thank you so much for blessing us with your presence.

How many of your customers come from this forum. And are you saying now that you wouldn't sell me a few SVS subs if I flopped down my hard earned money.

I'm sure the time you spend patroling this forum has proven very rewarding for you and SVS$$

Keep up the good "work"?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Leves,

Could you copy/paste the posts in which you felt I have been *pushing* SVS onto anyone..Canadians or otherwise?

I've gone out of my WAY to suggest the paradigms to canadians all across the internet...

TV

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom, thank you so much for blessing us with your presence. How many of your customers come from this forum.> And are you saying now that you wouldn't sell me a few SVS subs if I flopped down my hard earned money.>I'm sure the time you spend patroling this forum has proven very rewarding for you and SVS$$

Keep up the good "work"?

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Responses like that ought to make you alot of friends and customers.
All anyone has to do is do a search and find other times where you are put to the task of defending yourself.
Keep your spiders, I'll buy SVS's if I want to, and you'll sell them, yea right!! :angry:

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, ENOUGH !!!!!!

Tom, please. Do you really need it ?

Alan & Co:

1) I do have a PW-2200, and a Servo-15, living in US. Yes, I considerd a pair of SVS - but I bought PW before SVS was selling subs, and got a great deal on Sevo - slightly used for $650.

2) Tom and Ron did a lot of services explaining how to calibrate a sub, how to set up audio, before they started SVS Tom was helping people DIY sonosubs. If you are new to a forum, and surprised with how SVS is ttreated - it is SVS home turf. They put their sweat equite here, year after year. They have nothing to be ashamed, and such insinuations are way aout of order.

3) Tom few times adviced me wrt Sub config depnding on dB level in my listening area - 9000 cu feet.

4) so guys, can we start agian, please ?

Happy Passover, Easter, or just Happy hour to you too !

(And if someone want to compare PW and Servo in DC area, drop me a note).

_zjt

Norman Short

Stunt Coordinator
Don't worry about it Tom. I've been reading this forum for some months and I've seen many times you've recommended Paradigm as well as Hsu and others for those who are at a different price point than SVS either because of their location or their budget.

One thing you skeptics should realize when you're looking at the number of posts TV has made on this forum is that this was his online home well before there was an SV Subwoofer company. Before that Tom was one of the DIY gurus around here, and his designs inspired others, including Ron Stimpson, the other half of SVS. Their designs are still available and Tom has had many, many posts helping others with their own DIY projects. So it's not like all those posts are "pushing" SVS. Especially considering he *is* now in business doing what he loved doing for free before (would that we could all get jobs that fit that description), I'd say he shows remarkable restraint. Sure he defends his product, but I've never seen him jump into a "what subwoofer should I buy" thread unless the poster brings up SVS and wants to know more, or without offering other brand alternatives if the poster wanted to know options.

Sure, SVS uses forums to find buyers. They're an internet company, formed by HTF regulars. They are also one of the sponsors of this forum, which means they help keep these boards running. I don't begrudge them talking about their products, especially considering they're "home town" boys and the fact they don't twist anyone's arm about buying from them.

There is one good point made, and that is the fault of certain forum members rather than anything done by Ron or Tom. Sometimes other brands do get slammed a bit too harshly. There are other subwoofers that do a great job; it's just that in most cases they either cost more or don't perform quite as well. A lot of people will be very happy with any sub. Some people wont feel like they got a great product unless they spend more money. Some people may just plain prefer another brand. No problems there.

The irony of this thread was that Tom sounded like he was going to recommend the poster keep his Paradigm, as many people seem to agree that the PW-2200 is a fine subwoofer.

Norman Short

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks