What's new

Psycho Sequels ? (1 Viewer)

Will K

Screenwriter
Psycho IV, as made for cable, is just that: a TV movie. I've never cared for the movie's extremely cheesy execution but it does have a few merits, particularly Olivia Hussey's performance as Norma Bates. On the down side, the finale is atrocious.

The movie also has a sad resonance as this was Tony Perkins' final performance as Norman and one of last film roles.

The Bates Motel TV series was pretty bad, as I recall.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I just want a new edition of the original with an anamorphic transfer. Extras are good on the currect edition, right?

Real Name
Anthony
It's confirmed ! :)

PSYCHO I to IV Box set ! www.r2-dvd.org says it's due on 20th Oct, but amazon and blackstar say the 6th.
Finally, us poor R2 saps get the PSYCHO documentary but there's no word on extras for the other 3. I'm not holding my breath - just glad I didn't buy them on tape !

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I saw the sequels when I was about 10 years old... So, I have a certain liking for them somewhat...

Part 2 tries to be a good movie, but falls flat... Still, it's not as horrible as some make it out to be IMO... It's passible and tries... It's a bad movie mixed with a good movie trying to break out. But it doesnt quite make the trip...

Psycho 3... This movie is so 80's it's not even funny... They basically turned Psycho into a F13 slasher flick with this installment... I actually found this sequel to be more fun than Part 2... I remember watching the ending when I was 13 or so and laughing my ass off... This is not really a technically good movie, but I found it fun and enjoyable...

Part 4... I didnt care too much for it... The ending was absolutely horrible and this sequel IMO was not needed... Then again, some will say that about 2 and 3...

Sort of how I feel about the Poltergeist series... While Part 2 is technically better made than Part 3, I just found Part 3 more fun... Part 2 is a bad movie mixed with a good movie, but the good movie doesnt quite take over the bad... Part 3 is technically messed up, but I still enjoyed it...

But, I also saw all these movies as a kid so my memories will be different than others...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I would not put much faith in Universal these days
Yeah, they don't have much love for their vault...well...actually in the last two years they have released Halloween II - An American Werewolf in London - The Andromeda Strain - Silent Running - It Came From Outer Space - Cat People - Batteries Not Included - Legend: Ultimate Edition - E.T. - Back to the Future - Fahrenheit 451 - The Incredible Hulk : Original Television Premiere and they are releasing quite a few other genera titles soon but....;)

Flash Gordon(1980) would be nice as well.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Universal will be releasing Psycho IV: The Beginning as a part of a Psycho triple pack (along with Psycho II and Psycho III) on 8/14/07. Retail is 14.98. Details from Universal's website:

Disc 1
Psycho II
Run Time: 1 Hour 53 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Bonus Materials: Theatrical Trailer

Technical Information
Audio:
Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
English Dolby Digital 4.0 Surround
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
Color

Disc 2
Psycho III
Run Time: 1 Hour 33 Minutes

Technical Information
Audio: English
Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
Color

Disc 2
Psycho IV: The Beginning
Run Time: 1 Hour 36 Minutes

Technical Information
Audio: English
Color

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I already have the first three...is there any word on whether or not Psycho IV: The Beginning will be released separately? I don't want to re-purchase the other ones just to get IV.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Same here. That's really jerky of them to make it exclusive to the triple pack. The majority of people who'd give a damn about buying PSYCHO IV already have the other films on DVD. I'll just wait on this in hopes of it EVENTUALLY being released seperately. I've waited this long, so I can wait a bit longer.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
I got it yesterday and made it through Psycho II. The movie's a bit more enjoyable than I remember it being, so I'll catch the other two later on this week.

The big bonus for me was Best Buy: the Psycho Triple Feature is on sale for $10 there, and it's part of a promotion where if you buy five total from their list, you get a $20 gift card. A lot of the stuff is doubled and it's unclear if you'll get a fullscreen or a widescreen of a certain flick, but they do have some deals for the new Darkman and Tremors Franchise Packs at $10 each.

Even if you don't want the promo, you get all three Psycho sequels for $10. Not a bad price, IMHO.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Psycho II is on its own disc (presumably since its the longest of three) and Psycho III and Psycho IV share a disc. Eventhough they're on one disc, they both look fine to my eyes (and Psycho IV is presented in widescreen as per Mick Garris' wishes). That being said, I'm not one of those guys who sits down with a bit meter and a magnifying glass to watch a DVD either. :)

Like Nick said, it's hard to go wrong when BB is charging $10 for three movies.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Wait a second...Best Buy is only charging $10.00 for the set!? Are the other two using the same transfers as their previous releases? If not, are they better?

Maybe this isn't so bad after all. I would have paid at least $10.00 for the fourth one if it was released by itself...

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I picked up since they are all in on collection for relatively cheap.

I watched 2 over the weekend and it was the first time in probably 20 years to watch it. I always remembered that it was decent. It is relatively suspenseful, but gets cheesy with the early 80's (or 70's for that matter) gore.

I think that I saw part of 3 in the 80's, but don't remember much.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ive always loved II. Tilly is just yummy. :p And Perkins returns to the role in grand style. But III I didn't quite like originally. Watching it for the first time in years a few years ago I found it easier to warm up to. It actually has some nice moments. Other scenes are just unintentionally funny.

There's a bit near the end when "mother" shows up and they do a shot from her shoes to her head. I swear, when they show those shoes, I'm thinking "Mary Poppins"?!!

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I don't think it was on sale at by Best Buy last week, just $15. I saw the set myself and was tempted but am going to pass for the time being. Widescreen, though!

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks