What's new

PSB Speakers (1 Viewer)

Tom McGary

Auditioning
I am looking to spend between $800-$1500 on a set of mains for my Stereo/HT setup. Its about 65% music (mostly classical and jazz) and 35% movies. Ive done extensive listening to Infinity's Alpha 40s and 50s at the local Circuit City and my friend has a brand new pair of RF-5s Ive heard quite a bit.

I was wondering what people thought of the PSB Image series (specifically the 5T and 6t) and the Paradigm Monitor 11. I have read on the forum that the Paradigms need alot of power to run; any input?

Tom

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
PSB makes really nice speakers. You can get 'blems' at a great discount from Yawaonline or Upscaleaudio. The trick is to actually find the blem on the speaker. Good Luck.
andy

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tom
I have the PSB Image line of speakers in my home theater which we also use to listen to music. My PSB line up is the 5T for right and left front, 9C for center, 10S for right and left surrounds, Subsonic 6 for the sub and two 8Cs for the right and left rear speakers. The Image line of speakers are very effecient (>88db) and I can drive the wife out of the living room with the Outlaw 950 set between -10 and the reference. I am driving the Images with an Outlaw 7100 which has 100wrms into 8 ohms and 165wrms into 4 ohms. The Images are nominally 6 ohms with a low of 4 ohms. I find the Images to be very good for both movies and for music though I suspect that I am not as picky as others. They are great speakers for the price. The latest Sound and Vision mag reviewed the Subsonic 5i and it was very flat down to 25 hz. Not bad for a $449 10in subwoofer.
Regards,
TCIII

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I have the 6Ts for my mains. Got them for about $700/pr 2 years ago. Absolutely love them, since they provide such great imaging and soundstage. For $1500, you can afford PSB's other series, like the Stratus line. I'll sadly be selling my 6Ts early next year and putting the money toward a set of Rockets :) You might take a look at the AV123.com website. The RS750s are $1400/pair.

You didn't mention whether you like the sound of the Infinities and Klipschs. The Klipsch are considered to have a "brighter" sound, as opposed to the PSBs or Rockets.

Not sure where you heard that the paradigms are hard to drive, since they are pretty efficient speakers, much like the PSBs.

Tom McGary

Auditioning
I like the way the Klipsch sound on orchestra and jazz; sometimes rock music, particularly the voice, gets a little harsh. I have always enjoyed infinity's sound; I have some old Qe speakers from 1980 that sound awesome. Thanks for all the responses!

Tom

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have 6T mains and 9C centre with 2B rear surrounds. Music sounds great and movies sound great too. I love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks