What's new

Ps1/ps2 (1 Viewer)

Rob N

Agent
I've heard you can play PS1 games on the PS2. Is this true and if so does this work for any PS1 game or just a few select PS1 titles? My kids want the new Harry Potter game but the PS1 version is all I can find.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Rob,
Yes this is true. You can play PS1 games on the PS2. All PS1 game should work with the system. There have been reports of incompatibility but they are few and nothing worth noting. Harry Potter should work great!
PS. You can also improve the graphics and the load times of the PS1 games on the PS2. There are two options under the PS1 driver section that allows you to use smooth textures and Fast disc loading.
In my experience the Texture smoothing works well on a majority of games but can cause glitches in others. The fast speed loading does seem to be less effective, with allot of games not loading up properly or freezing. Figured I'd throw that out there for you:).

lester

Auditioning
Yep you can use ps1 games on the ps2. Just put the ps1 game in and it will play. Mind you it wont look like the ps2 games in terms of video quality.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
don't get rid of your ps1 memory cards tho. i haven't played my old ones and used a card to check but i have read and heard that u can't use ps2 cards to save and load an older ps1 game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You need PSX/PS1 memory cards to save with PSX games, but through the menu, you can store PSX data on PS2 cards for extra space. So if you buy a PS2 and PSX memory card, you can store data for PSX games on the PS2 card after they are saved on the PSX card, thus allowing you a ton of space for PSX game saves.

Rob N

Agent
Ok, I'm a bit confused here (sorry, I'm new to this whole console gaming thing). I don't have a PS1 (nor PS1 memory cards). My kids just want to play a few PS1 titles on our PS2. Do I need to get a PS1 memory card to save the PS1 games? Will PS1 memory cards fit/work in a PS2? Is there a reason why a PS2 memory card won't store PS1 data?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Ok, I'm a bit confused here (sorry, I'm new to this whole console gaming thing). I don't have a PS1 (nor PS1 memory cards). My kids just want to play a few PS1 titles on our PS2. Do I need to get a PS1 memory card to save the PS1 games? Will PS1 memory cards fit/work in a PS2? Is there a reason why a PS2 memory card won't store PS1 data?
Your PS2 can play PS1 games just fine. But inorder to save with PS1 games, you need a PS1 memory card. They look just like PS2 memory cards, so try to buy a different color to help differentiate. They fit in where the normal PS2 memory cards go. The PS2 memory card is a different size than the PS1 memory card, and the PS1 games wouldn't know how to read or write to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks