1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Proof that no good deed goes unpunished

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by D. Scott MacDonald, Feb 4, 2005.

1. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

If you want more proof of how out of control our litigious society is, read this

Basically, two high school girls surprise their neighbors by baking cookies, leaving them on their neighbor's doorstep, knocking, and running away. One neighbor got freaked out, sued, and won. According to the judge:

At least the cookies weren't deemed "malicious".

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Egads.

3. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

They need to appeal this. "Using bad judgement" is not a legal standard. The neighbor sounds like a total _itch, suing even after they had offered to pay the medical bills. (Which means she must have sued for more.)

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I would DEFINITELY appeal and show this womans spite.

5. D. Scott MacDonald

This implies to me that she indeed sued for "pain and suffering". I bet she's really popular in the neighborhood right now.

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

The real tragedy here is that a judge awarded this lady any money at all. He needs to be given a cookie, told to have a nice day, and tossed out on his keister.

If this lady and her family doesn't have flaming bags full of dog poop nightly on theirporch for years, they will be getting off light.

That's just crazy.

7. D. Scott MacDonald

Joe, I notice that you live within a leisurely drive of Durango. Got any dog poop? [​IMG]

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    unbelievable!

9. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I thought giving cookies was a neighborly thing to do [​IMG]

Why does the latter half of this statement not suprise me?

Bruce

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yeah, that's what I wondered, about that "neighbors she had tangled with in the past.."

She went to the hospital freaked out because someone knocked on her door at 10:30.

Hmm. In the end, that is a ridiculous argument to blame the knocker. In fact, if I were the girls, a terrible counter argument would be:

If you are aware that you cannot have visitors after 10:30 for health reasons, do you not have a responsibility to post this information on your door or your lot in order to warn people? If a stranger knocked on your door to tell you there was an auto-accident and he needed help at night, would you sue him as well?

She argues that the girls apology rings false. In turn, I would say that her getting into a tizzy that required a hospital stay rings false to me.. she may have gone to the hospital, but it makes me wonder a lot about what this woman is so scared of that someone would knock on her door.. she needs to be in a home. Does she just sit up at night afraid that this will happen?

If I were the girls, I'd pay (since they offered to at the beginning, and she received no emotional damages) and hold a damn bake sale to pay for it.. I'll bet all the other neighbors would buy up items.

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Oh no...not the EVIL cookies!!!! [​IMG]

12. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Id love to bang on this ladies' door & windows at 3:30 AM. That would be fantastic. [​IMG]

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

She was just pissed because she didn't get any more of the "special" brownies that had been left previously.

Hell, if someone leaves baking at my door, I thank them, not sue them. This lady has some serious problems.

14. Magnus_M

Magnus_M Stunt Coordinator

I wonder how many kids she's gonna sue at Halloween? [​IMG]

Not a real surprise that she's had arguments with neighbours in the past, they must have done some horrible things like giving her a pie or something when she moved in...

15. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Would hate to be a girlscout in that neighborhood.

16. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I found a thread on this at another board. They linked to another board where a post contained the woman's address and home telephone number. I'll bet that her phone is ringing off the hook. Maybe she'll sue the phone company next.[​IMG]

What a piece of shit.

17. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"hold a damn bake sale to pay for it.. I'll bet all the other neighbors would buy up items."

I bet you they'd pay for it quite easily. People would come from all over. The papers would put a free advert in too!

Hey, it I lived close I drop of a $20!

Brent

18. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

19. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    Once I dated a lifeguard who was sued for breaking a man's ribs while saving him from drowning. She had to stop working as a lifeguard because the city's insurance company wouldn't cover her anymore -- they paid out a settlement instead of going to court.

Apparently the guy would rather be dead than have to recover from a couple of broken ribs. What a jackass. She loved being a lifeguard, too, even though the pay was pretty lousy.