Projector screen help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by WaterEC, Apr 24, 2006.

1. WaterEC

WaterEC Agent

I'm getting a Panny AE900, but not sure what screen I should get. Since the Panny costs about $1500 after rebate now, common sense kind of indicates I shouldn't spend more than 30% (at least that's my own budget), or $450 for a screen. Electrical screen costs way too much, so initially I'm inclined towards manual pull down screen, like the Optoma 92" graywolf. Then some dealer said that manual pull down screen has wrinkle/stress problem, and he suggested fixed frame screen, which sounds reasonable. The cheapest I can find is Elitescreen R92H fixed screen, selling around $400-$500. Does this sound like a good choice? Thanks!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Build one. I have about $100 and a weekend tied up in mine. link

-Robert

3. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I have the 92" Graywolf screen with a Z3 projector. I have to roll my mine up and down each time I want to watch a movie because it hangs over a window. I am yet to have any trouble with wrinkles or anything of the sort. The material seems to be very heavy and like it will resist. On occasion, I see a wave or something like that, mainly when I first pull it down but its not even noticable with the projector is on.

I don't like the screen because of its texture and the sparkles so I am thinking about making one and selling the graywolf.

4. Joel Stein

Joel Stein Stunt Coordinator

You are thinking of making a pull-down screen? That's something I'd like to do, but an initial web search on how to do it turned up nothin'. I'd love to hear your plans or ideas on this.

Thanks,
    Joel

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Have you considered Screen Goo? I went with that and it's really been great!

www.goosystems.com

6. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

No, not a pull down, just a black out cloth screen on a fixed frame. I had a small piece of black out cloth left over from my window coverings and I held a piece over my screen the other day. I was playing "Seal, Live in Paris" and I think I liked the way the image looked better on white plus not having the texture issue was a big plus for me too.

The only other real problematic issue with the graywolf is that some of the screens have a faint line about 1/4 down from the top of the screen. Mine has it. I really only see it on really bright scenes but it drives me nuts!