What's new

Projector Processors (1 Viewer)

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
call me an idiot but i tried to spare myself from asking this here by googling it...but that failed. What do these processors do? what hooks up to what to get it to work? do you need one for a projector? does everything you want to come out of your projector (tv, vcr, dvd etc) go into the processor and then the processor goes into the projector? Do these things naturally cost alot, or does it depend on the company, or what projector your usin or what.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
video processing/scaling is used to change or increase the resolution beyond what is there already. Digital projectors come with scaling (almost always, consumer grade ones anyway) built in, so that you can feed a variety of signals that will be scaled to the native resolution of the panel for display.

CRT projectors need processing to hit their "sweetspot" in resolution to eliminate scanlines. Either way, good video processing is expensive to buy outboard for the good processors (thousands, or tens of thousands), but you can use an HTPC to get the job done much cheaper, it's just a bigger PITA to get things setup and stable, etc.

I'd recommend the Lumagen HDPro. $2300, and 1080p capabilities as well. Should be out of beta in the next couple of months, I'd wager. I have a beta unit, and it's very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks