What's new

Projector or Flat Screen? (1 Viewer)

bscriv77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Scrivens
I recently moved and have a small bedroom (12 x 12 - I know, not an ideal size) that I'd like to convert into a home theater. I had one set up in my old house (approx same size) and had my Panny 55" Plasma which I love. However, I would like to upgrade to a projector.

The issue is, most projectors don't have a decent short enough throw distance to allow me to go over 80". Ideally, I'd like to have a 103" 2:35:1 screen. Some can zoom and work - but will that acceft image quality?

Any suggestions on a

bscriv77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Scrivens
Viewing distance would be approx 8-9'. I tend to like sitting pretty close (I used to sit around 6-7' from my 55" tv).

My concern is that the projectors I'm looking at (specifically the JVC DLA-X570R) can throw that distance only when zoomed out to its max. Will this hurt the image quality?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Viewing distance would be approx 8-9'. I tend to like sitting pretty close (I used to sit around 6-7' from my 55" tv).

My concern is that the projectors I'm looking at (specifically the JVC DLA-X570R) can throw that distance only when zoomed out to its max. Will this hurt the image quality?
The simple answer is, No. That's what the zoom is for.

The more complicated answer is zoom will affect light level and absolute optical performance. Depending on how the zoom was designed it might perform better or worse at the extremes. But for a decent projector I doubt it will be a practical issue for you.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
If you have good ambient light control I can recommend the
LG PF1000u ultra short throw projector. This is a native 1080p DLP projector which utilizes a 20,000 hour LED light engine. It has no convergence issues (single chip); and virtually no rainbow artifacts. (The three high-powered LEDs fire sequentially at a rate that simulates a 16x color wheel). It also supports 3D and does a great job with 3D Blu-rays.

Since it's an ultra short throw pj, you'll get a 100" diagonal picture with the unit placed just 15" from the wall. And since it’s 1080p DLP, the picture looks great at just 6 feet from the screen. Just be aware that it's a little finicky to set up as it has to be exactly parallel, and you have to have a good tensioned screen. Also, you need to get the room as dark as possible as it's only rated at 1000 lumens. (And it's about 450 in the nice Cinema Mode which provides good quality depth to the picture.)

I have owned one for about a year now and it has had zero issues. We have really enjoyed it.

It has recently been replaced by the LG PF1000UW, which does *not* provide 3D but which is otherwise similar. You can still get the older model via Amazon if you hurry.

bscriv77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Scrivens
I love my projector, but with a 8-9 foot seating distance, and that small room, I wouldn't get a projector. I would buy the largest TV I could afford. At least 70 inches.

I was thinking about that, but based on my general seating distance it seems like a 103" 2:35:1 screen would seem to fit ok. I just don't want to go with a new tv and wish I went bigger :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Two problems... 1) 8 feet from a 103 inch screen (measured horizontally) is going to put a big chunk of the image in your peripheral vision. Movies with fast cutting will be very uncomfortable to watch that way. 2) A projector is not the same as a TV. I have one, but I also need a TV, because turning out the lights and focusing on the movie is great for movies, but it sucks for casual watching of TV while multitasking. You should plan on having a TV viewing area in a family room or living room too.

bscriv77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Scrivens
Two problems... 1) 8 feet from a 103 inch screen (measured horizontally) is going to put a big chunk of the image in your peripheral vision. Movies with fast cutting will be very uncomfortable to watch that way. 2) A projector is not the same as a TV. I have one, but I also need a TV, because turning out the lights and focusing on the movie is great for movies, but it sucks for casual watching of TV while multitasking. You should plan on having a TV viewing area in a family room or living room too.

This is a dedicated movie room so no regular tv viewing will take place :) As for the size, the screen is 103" for 2:35 so 16x9 movies will be projected at around 85" or so. I realize 103" is quite wide but it seems on par with my current seating distance when using my 55" tv which is around 6ft.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Using the THX calculator, optimal viewing distance for a 103 horizontal screen would be 13.2 feet. The recommended screen size for a viewing distance of 8 feet would be 72 inches diagonal.

The problem with too big a screen is that you will be forced to turn your head to see things happening at the edges of the screen. I saw Fantasia 2000 in IMAX once and the screen was so wide it was impossible to follow the action in the Rhapsody in Blue sequence. There would be a scene cut and you would have to search to find the focus of the scene, but before you could find it, there would be another scene cut. I got all the way through the sequence and had no idea what was going on.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Using the THX calculator, optimal viewing distance for a 103 horizontal screen would be 13.2 feet. The recommended screen size for a viewing distance of 8 feet would be 72 inches diagonal.

The problem with too big a screen is that you will be forced to turn your head to see things happening at the edges of the screen. I saw Fantasia 2000 in IMAX once and the screen was so wide it was impossible to follow the action in the Rhapsody in Blue sequence. There would be a scene cut and you would have to search to find the focus of the scene, but before you could find it, there would be another scene cut. I got all the way through the sequence and had no idea what was going on.

I could be mistaken, but I think he meant 103" diagonal 2.35:1 image size, not horizontal size.

Sounds like he's saying he wants an ~85" 16x9 diagonal image (for 16x9 images) and zoom to ~103" 2.35:1 diagonal size for 2.35:1 images for essentially constant height projection -- the dimensions work out about right (w/in an inch or so perhaps) between those 2.

That sounds pretty close to the THX recommendation for 16x9 anyway (if slightly on the larger side). For the ~103" 2.35:1 diagonal size, comes out to ~95" horizontal/width, which would make 9ft distance ~1.14x screen width (and slightly on the wide side, but seems w/in the ballpark of recommendations).

For content that involve lots of fast cuts, etc., I guess he can always opt for zooming to something in between... though that means a need to adjust any masking he might plan to do...

_Man_

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Projection screens are usually measured horizontally. TV sets are measured diagonally

bscriv77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Scrivens
Yes, I meant 103" diagonal for a 2:35 screen, so the 16x9 image would be around 85".

UPDATE: I purchased a display model Sony XBR75X940D 75" TV from Best Buy for a really good deal last night. My thought is, that's probably the only tv I'd buy if I decide not to go with a projector as it's 3D and most newer models of all brands are not 3D. Plus the PQ is really nice.

That said, I plopped it on my stand and checked my viewing distance which is 6.5' away. It's pretty damn impressive at 16x9 but I cannot help to think that going wider with a projection screen (2:35) will make movies in widescreen even more immersive.

I have 15 days to take it back...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF I were you, I'd rather go for a relatively inexpensive 1080p front projection setup (for now)... unless you really must have 4K (or run into logistical problems w/ setup). Is that Sony 75" fully HDR capable? Don't think I'd wanna spend that much and not get full HDR.

For a relatively inexpensive 1080p FP option, maybe check out the BenQ HT4050:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq-ht4050-projector-review.htm

Based on Projector Central's calculator, it should probably fit the bill for what you need IF you ceiling mount it:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT4050-projection-calculator-pro.htm

If ceiling mount is not an option, you *might* be able to get away w/ placing it on some sort of high stand between or behind you so it's just above your head, but not too high for your ceiling -- you'll need to factor in any projection clearance (on all sides), etc. when figuring out the logistics, especially given the small room size you have. Don't forget the wiring issue as well -- I just run a long flat HDMI cable (and power cord extension) under our rug between the AV gear and the budget (BenQ W1070) FP on a stand behind our couch.

Not sure, but sounds like the HT4050 also has some compatibility option for anamorphic lens add-on, which may or may not (eventually?) be useful to you (for constant-height projection).

Someone above also suggested the portable LG LED DLP option for around the same price, but won't need bulb replacements (so ends up cheaper overall). However, sounds like it's really not designed to project as big as you want for 2.35:1 -- might be too dim at that size (assuming there aren't any other issues). Plus you'd need to carefully move the projector to zoom the image (between 16x9 and 2.35:1) since there's no built-in zoom lens, which would require a lot extra care especially given the nature of its ultra-short throw.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lg-pf1000u-projector-review.htm

There are other pros and cons to consider between these (and a regular flat panel TV) as well, eg. the BenQ HT4050 may exhibit more DLP rainbow than the LG LED DLP (that has virtually none), which may or may not be noticeable to you while it probably comes w/ higher brightness (probably more important for 3D and the larger projection size you want for 2.35:1) and more accurate out-of-box color.

_Man_

Last edited:

bscriv77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Scrivens
IF I were you, I'd rather go for a relatively inexpensive 1080p front projection setup (for now)... unless you really must have 4K (or run into logistical problems w/ setup). Is that Sony 75" fully HDR capable? Don't think I'd wanna spend that much and not get full HDR.

For a relatively inexpensive 1080p FP option, maybe check out the BenQ HT4050:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq-ht4050-projector-review.htm

Based on Projector Central's calculator, it should probably fit the bill for what you need IF you ceiling mount it:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT4050-projection-calculator-pro.htm

If ceiling mount is not an option, you *might* be able to get away w/ placing it on some sort of high stand between or behind you so it's just above your head, but not too high for your ceiling -- you'll need to factor in any projection clearance (on all sides), etc. when figuring out the logistics, especially given the small room size you have. Don't forget the wiring issue as well -- I just run a long flat HDMI cable (and power cord extension) under our rug between the AV gear and the budget (BenQ W1070) FP on a stand behind our couch.

Not sure, but sounds like the HT4050 also has some compatibility option for anamorphic lens add-on, which may or may not (eventually?) be useful to you (for constant-height projection).

Someone above also suggested the portable LG LED DLP option for around the same price, but won't need bulb replacements (so ends up cheaper overall). However, sounds like it's really not designed to project as big as you want for 2.35:1 -- might be too dim at that size (assuming there aren't any other issues). Plus you'd need to carefully move the projector to zoom the image (between 16x9 and 2.35:1) since there's no built-in zoom lens, which would require a lot extra care especially given the nature of its ultra-short throw.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lg-pf1000u-projector-review.htm

There are other pros and cons to consider between these (and a regular flat panel TV) as well, eg. the BenQ HT4050 may exhibit more DLP rainbow than the LG LED DLP (that has virtually none), which may or may not be noticeable to you while it probably comes w/ higher brightness (probably more important for 3D and the larger projection size you want for 2.35:1) and more accurate out-of-box color.

_Man_

Thanks for the info! I really like the idea of lens memory that the JVC has plus the overall consensus of the image quality. Another thought is to mount the projector in the walk-in closet in the room which would give me an additional distance of about 2 feet - so a throw distance of 13 or so feet. In that range, I would only be zooming in about half the range of the projector and still land at 103" diagonal for 2:35. Plus with it being in a closet (properly vented, of course), it could reduce him, etc.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You might try asking specifically about that JVC projector (and any comparables in that range) over in the Display subforum section instead.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks