What's new

Projector / DVD Player Question (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Bane

Agent
I have a Sharp M20X w/DLP, and have been quite pleased with the picture on it. It even rated *very* high on the Projector Central website. It has a built in progressive scan feature with "2D, 3D, and Film" settings within it. On all the discs that have been rated the equivalent of "4 Stars" on the transfer by various review sites, I could agree with the respective review. Moulin Rouge, for example, was near perfection. That is until AOTC disc. To me, blown up on a 96" screen, it lacks some clarity . . . portions of the screen look sort of 'pixelated.'

My question is this: Could this be a function of not using a progressive scan DVD player? Given the fact that my projector is progressive scan, would I gain anything by upgrading to a similar DVD player?

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
How are you connecting to your projector? S-vid, component, etc...a progressive player is going to remove an analogue step by having 3-2 pull down in the player. Know anyone you could borrow from or possibly get a loaner from a retailer (after a hefty deposit)? That may clear up any questions.

ATOC is a direct from digital source that *should* look crystal. Have you tried others like Shrek, Toy Story, a Bug's Life?

Rent JasonX, it's the only other direct from digital that's live action that I know of and compare.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I have a dlp pj connected to a progressive player via a rgb breakout cable.
AOTC is NOT one of the best looking discs i own.
in fact, i could name about 20 others that absolutely smoke it in terms of picture quality.
while it is frequently very nice looking and aproaching stunning, it is soft, and lacks a great resolution.
to get a really nice picture with this disc, i have to project it at about the same size i use for non-anamorphic movies.
at my normal size, details are sorely lacking (like in the Jedi archive sequence) and screen door becomes intrusive (especially with all those blown out whites in various scenes).

the digital purity and solidity of the colors is remarkable, but its not one of the overall best looking discs i own by a wide margin.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Is this what you're using to connect your DVD to your PG-M20X?

The M20X does better with component than S-Video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks