What's new

Noob asks Questions? $5,000 4k Short throw Projector. (1 Viewer)

saintpriva

Auditioning
Real Name
Saint Priva
Hi everyone I am new to hometheater and want to join in! These are a few questions I have and any answers are greatly appreciated.

PROJECTOR: BETWEEN BOTTOM 4 - I have full control over lighting where it will be used
  1. Do all projectors have the ability for 3D? (the LG HU85LA in particular)
  2. Do you need a special kind of projector screen for 3D? (I saw Elite has CineWhite or CineGrey 3D)
  3. What kind of glasses do you use for 3D? (Any recommendations)
  4. Will I sacrifice using the stable B2 120" CineWhite Frame? (benefit to using more pricer ones)
  5. If I was to connect and setup a PC with KODI or a 3D media player and connect to my projector via HDMI would 3D movies work, or do I have to buy a projector that has 3D in it?
  6. I was told a projector needs DLP for 3D and the LG HU85la has DLP but I have been told it does not have 3D. Can someone help me confirm this please.
  7. Is the Sony 1000 ES still good compared to the HU85LA after 3 years? There is not many reviews with the Sony 1000ES
FEATURES I WANT(ANY BUDGET)
  • 3D
  • Ultra Short throw
PROJECTORS I AM DEBATING ON
-Sony VPL-VZ1000ES
-LG CineBeam HU85LA
-Optoma Technology CinemaX P1
-Hisense 120L10E

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hi everyone I am new to hometheater and want to join in! These are a few questions I have and any answers are greatly appreciated.

PROJECTOR: BETWEEN BOTTOM 4 - I have full control over lighting where it will be used
  1. Do all projectors have the ability for 3D? (the LG HU85LA in particular)
  2. Do you need a special kind of projector screen for 3D? (I saw Elite has CineWhite or CineGrey 3D)
  3. What kind of glasses do you use for 3D? (Any recommendations)
  4. Will I sacrifice using the stable B2 120" CineWhite Frame? (benefit to using more pricer ones)
  5. If I was to connect and setup a PC with KODI or a 3D media player and connect to my projector via HDMI would 3D movies work, or do I have to buy a projector that has 3D in it?
  6. I was told a projector needs DLP for 3D and the LG HU85la has DLP but I have been told it does not have 3D. Can someone help me confirm this please.
  7. Is the Sony 1000 ES still good compared to the HU85LA after 3 years? There is not many reviews with the Sony 1000ES
FEATURES I WANT(ANY BUDGET)
  • 3D
  • Ultra Short throw
PROJECTORS I AM DEBATING ON
-Sony VPL-VZ1000ES
-LG CineBeam HU85LA
-Optoma Technology CinemaX P1
-Hisense 120L10E

Welcome!

1. Do all projectors have the ability for 3D? (the LG HU85LA in particular) No. 3D is an increasingly rare feature in projectors and is all but gone in TV's. I don't know of a native 4K projector that supports it but my Epson 6050 (a pixel-shifting model) does.
  2. Do you need a special kind of projector screen for 3D? (I saw Elite has CineWhite or CineGrey 3D) Not to my knowledge. The key factor in 3D is brightness so I would assume a screen marketed as a 3D screen would have some sort of screen gain baked in but it's not a requirement, especially in a light-controlled room like yours.
  3. What kind of glasses do you use for 3D? (Any recommendations) Depends on the projector you choose. There are 2 main types, passive (or polarized) and active shutter. Passive glasses are similar to what you see in commercial theaters . Active glasses use IR to [actively] sync the glasses to the image onscreen. If your projector supports 3D it will tell you in its documentation what type of glasses you need, as not all active shutter glasses are compatible with all 3D projectors.
  4. Will I sacrifice using the stable B2 120" CineWhite Frame? (benefit to using more pricer ones) Not exactly sure what you mean by this. Sacrifice what? Whether or not to use a screen frame or border is a personal preference. I currently use a borderless screen but I've had screens with borders in the past.
  5. If I was to connect and setup a PC with KODI or a 3D media player and connect to my projector via HDMI would 3D movies work, or do I have to buy a projector that has 3D in it? No. The source device [HTPC running KODI, media player, etc] can send a 3D signal to your projector but without native support for it the projector will not know how to process the signal. You will get either standard 2D or a blurred and unwatchable image.
  6. I was told a projector needs DLP for 3D and the LG HU85la has DLP but I have been told it does not have 3D. Can someone help me confirm this please. DLP [Digital Light Processing] is a technology used to place pixels on your screen. It has nothing to do with 3D. The main competitor to DLP is 3-LCD [Liquid Crystal Display] technology. There are excellent 3D projectors out there using both technologies but each does have it's strengths and weaknesses so you should do careful research before comitting to one over the other.
  7. Is the Sony 1000 ES still good compared to the HU85LA after 3 years? There is not many reviews with the Sony 1000ES. I have no experience with Sony projectors so I cannot help with this one.

Last edited:

aluecke

Auditioning
Real Name
Al Luecke
I have a Epson 5040UB projector with a stewart screen that I have had for at least 15 yrs. The projector does 3D with active epson glasses. Very pleased with Epson projectors. This is my 3rd one. I hear the new 5050UB is even better. May upgrade again in another 2 years.
Also, while not true 4k, you would be hard pressed to notice any major difference between it and a true 4K projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks