What's new

projector and screen (1 Viewer)

Dan C

Agent
I am new to home theaters and have questions about my set up and choice of projector. I plan to purchase a sharp 12000 and fix a stewart screen in the wall. I will recess the screen (twice) and put felt over the setbacks. I at first planed on a perforated screen but I was told that the dlp would lose light and thus not give as good a picture. I have been reading that the best place to put the center speaker is behind the screen. Does it really make that much of a difference? The plans I had called for all three speakers to go behind the screen (120 in, should I go smaller?). On the same subject what does everyone think about the sharp 12k? I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might have.

Dan C

Agent
Thanks for the help and I read that thread but is it worth it. The stuart screen I plan to purchase is already 2000.00 bucks. How much more can it be? I am going with the new Klipsch Ultra2 system. Should I just put it under the screen?

Dan C

Agent
Also should I run pvc to the projector from the equipment rack. How many cables run to the projector? I would like to box it out leaving the front open, but will I need vent it some how?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
:) You touched on about 3 or more major and important issues with front projector installation/setup.

First of all, I would not go microperf or weaved sonically transparent screens. Just place the centre speaker under or over the screen and angle as needed...

http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1/front.jpg

Yes, by all means, run a conduit to your projector for your video cabling. I would personally go wth something like a 2-2.5" PVC conduit. You can run a s-video and a mini BNC cable which is RGBH&V for your HDef. You can also use 3 of the 5 cables for component if you wish and then use another as a composite cable. There is some flexibility. You probably should preplan for DVI cabling as well. Whatever you run, make sure to run about 7-10 runs of heavy-duty string as well. This is what you would use to pull in new future cabling if needed.

Try a search on "hushboxes". FYI, the Sharp 12K is front ported.

Are you getting the Stuart Firehawk screen? The 12K is a very nice HD2+ WXGA-class digital projector with a nice contrast ratio.

Dan C

Agent
That is the screen I had in mind. If the speakers are mounted in the wall how do you angle them? Will this cause them to shake more? What do you recommend (under the screen or over the screen)?

thanks

chuck>case

Auditioning
I too wil soon be installing a Sharp 12000. I have been told by Sharp and Da-Lite that at the size I am projecting (133"diag), the perf will not detract from the dlp resolution. I have bought both the projector and the screen. I'll report again when it is complete. My question has to do with projector placement. I want to displace the projector about 18" from lateral dead center of the screen. Sharp tech support refuses to make a recommendation other than to mount it exactly on the center line. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks........Chuck

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dan:

Another place to check out for your screen where you might save some money is with Carada. They offer extremly competitive pricing and David is a great guy to work with.

I agree with Neil about running a PVC conduit for your cables. That way if you want to change out cables in the future you don't have to go tearing out stuff.

I also agree that placing your center channel above or below the screen working well. As far as your front channels are they going to be in walls?

Parker

Dan C

Agent
All speakers are built in. Changed my mind again on the projector thinking Dwin. Any comments? This way no scaler (built in) two box system, with a line tripler. Plus mount and DVI cable thrown in package. Not to sure yet , have to check it out some more. There is a dealer in Elgin so for a long drive I go.

Ramon A

Agent
i have read good things about SCREEN GOO do a search and check it out $200.00 for a large DIY screen cant hurt to look
if you don't need masking capabilities.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dan:

I have heard really good things about the DWIN projector. I think they are a bit pricey though.

Another one to think about is the new Infocus 7205. Infocus will give you about 10 days to try the projector out in your house and return it without penality or restocking fees. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks