What's new

projector and screen question (1 Viewer)

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
A few years back me and a couple friends tossed around the idea of screen and projector over a flat panel TV. I don't remember much of the details of that but I think we came to the conclusion of projector and screen. I'm still using an old 27" tube TV bought I'm almost certain before flat panel TVs began to come out.

Anyway's I was tossing around the idea of replacing it. And the thought occured to me that I could maybe buy a projector and screen for the same or less than the cost of a fancy ~50" flat panel TV. This is without doing any decision making on specific feature details.

My aim is to make the purchase in about 6 months. Or sooner depending on cost. Special holiday sale may be a way to get more for the money is an option. What should I look for in features and brands for both projector and screen?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
First off a few questions, do you need 3D, will the room be light controlled, by that i mean will you have some black out blinds to block light hitting the projection screen, with this in mind will the placement of the screen be away from the windows, if going the projector route you have different technologies to take into account, there is DLP, LCOS or LCD, ( i omit LED due to the high price ) all have different models at different prices.

Indeed what is your budget, if you have a budget i can offer some advice on a projector but i am not sure about the screens available in the USA, you want to avoid ones which will crinkle up because that will ruin the viewing experience.

Although you may get one for the same price as a television you also have to take into account bulb prices, although you can use one for viewing television it could get expensive if on all the time, bulbs dim, sometimes they dim quickly although our eyes tend to adjust to the dimming and we accept it, and there is the light control factor during the day, especially in summertime when the sun is out a lot, very good black out blinds would be needed or a dedicated room for the projector where no light can enter into the room.

What size of screen do you have in mind. I'd say if you are going to do it then go for at least a 100 inch one or bigger.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
The idea of going 3d sounds nifty, but I'm doubtful of it being practical for me. And I assume costs significantly more. Lighting is either on or off and no short term plan to change that. The screen will be on the same wall as the windows and they can be blacked out if need be. And the room is in the basement. The budget would probably be $600-700. My thoughts were I could get more bang for the buck with screen and projector over flat panel TV. A typical day of TV use is 3-5 hours use with some days as much as 8+. I was figuring 100+ screen size.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The only screen and projector you can buy for $700 is a 720p projector, and make your own screen. With your budget, I would buy a TV. If you can wait until you have about $1,000, you can buy a 1080p projector, and do a DIY screen.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As noted your budget will only get you a 720p projector unless you buy secondhand, the Optoma HD20 is $850 on Amazon, it's not 3D though and you would have to be sure your eyes aren't sensitive to the rainbow effect with a DLP projector, the next one up in the Optoma range is the HD25 at $936 but that one is 3D, i'd also check some reviews if you went for an Optoma, black levels may not be the best but they may be acceptable to you.

There is a Viewsonic Pro 8200 projector selling off at $713 on Amazon, that's half price at the moment, i personally wouldn't recommend it for home cinema though as reviews suggest it suffers from the rainbow effect more than some other projectors.

A BenQ W1070 1080P projector is selling for $999, that one is 3D compatible, i'd buy it over an Optoma.

If i was you i'd budget a little more or go the 720p route, 720p can be very good with the right projector.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
The budget might be able to be higher but I won't know until the time gets closer. I would like to do it right so that I'm happy in the long term with my purchases. If that means waiting more time to do it then I will. What exactly is involved in DIY screen? And how does that compare to buying one? I looked at a couple stores and prices span from about $200 all the way up to the price of a car (LOL) for a screen.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
JasonLa said:
The budget might be able to be higher but I won't know until the time gets closer. I would like to do it right so that I'm happy in the long term with my purchases. If that means waiting more time to do it then I will. What exactly is involved in DIY screen? And how does that compare to buying one? I looked at a couple stores and prices span from about $200 all the way up to the price of a car (LOL) for a screen.
You don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent screen, look at the gain values, my screen has a gain value of 1.1, the higher you go the more you can run into issues with hot spotting but the higher you go also has some benefits too, i;d go for a more neutral gain, around 0.9 to 1.2 would be fine, personally i would buy a screen, Google the subject matter and it should bring up some decent quality screens at a reasonable price, just avoid ones which will crinkle and ruin the film experience, i would like to offer more advice but i don't know what screens you can buy in the USA, for Scotland and Europe i went for Beamax, good quality screen that comes in a great sturdy case and doesn't crinkle and has lasted many years, ( so far ) it cost me the equivalent of around $400 dollars for a 106 inch screen.

There are also some great articles about DIY screens across the internet, here's a link to some info.

http://www.projectionscreen.net/diy-projection-screen/

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
So gain is the most important thing to concider I take it. I imagine crinkle resistance (or proof) would be in how the screen is designed? Lets take these two as a starting point and cover any cons. As they are listed in the top 10 most popular on bestbuy.com

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Elite-Screens---Manual-Series-120%26%2334%3B-Pull-Down-Projector-Screen/9604711.p?id=1218132113465&skuId=9604711

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Elite+Screens+-+Spectrum+Series+125%26%2334%3B+Motorized+Projector+Screen/9725804.p?id=1218160819751&skuId=9725804#tab=overview

I'm inclined to not favor the 120" due to it's 4:3 ratio. After all these years of having a 27" 4:3 TV watching wide screen it was always as if I didn't really have as big of a TV than I had.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Those screens are junk, and will wrinkle. You need to buy a tab tensioned screen or a fixed screen.There are numerous types of DIY screens. Some involve painting and some do not. Check out the "DIY Screen" section at Avsforum.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
JasonLa said:
So gain is the most important thing to concider I take it. I imagine crinkle resistance (or proof) would be in how the screen is designed? Lets take these two as a starting point and cover any cons. As they are listed in the top 10 most popular on bestbuy.com

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Elite-Screens---Manual-Series-120%26%2334%3B-Pull-Down-Projector-Screen/9604711.p?id=1218132113465&skuId=9604711

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Elite+Screens+-+Spectrum+Series+125%26%2334%3B+Motorized+Projector+Screen/9725804.p?id=1218160819751&skuId=9725804#tab=overview

I'm inclined to not favor the 120" due to it's 4:3 ratio. After all these years of having a 27" 4:3 TV watching wide screen it was always as if I didn't really have as big of a TV than I had.
I wouldn't buy them, another option which i will throw into the mix for a decent 120 inch screen is from Jamestown, i have been reading some very positive things from them, i'd make sure your room walls are painted non-reflective dark colours including the ceiling, screen tension is adjustable and if you are on a budget then this could help you because of the price.

http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/120_screenDiagonal.html

A link to another site showing some diagrams which can help with you installing it if you decided to buy the above one.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/manufactured-screens/44058-jamestown-home-theater-screen-review.html

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Ive purchased 5 used projectors in the last 10 years and every one of them worked perfectly, and that includes my factory refurb RS60 in my current theater.

If I were on a severe budget and had a flexible install situation I would get a used 720p DLP projector and a Da Lite screen.

Figure $400 for the projector and $250 for the screen.

Not the best price Ive seen for this model but heres a projector that is very limited in its zoom and lens shift but throws a great image...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-HC3000U-HC3000-HD-720P-Widescreen-Home-Theater-Projector-NEW-LAMP-/290925928923

I spent a whopping $277 on my 106" Dalite model B screen. Got it from thefinalclick.com with extra features you may not need. So after looking at materials at da lite search for the best price on what you want, cause prices do vary....

http://www.da-lite.com/products/product.php?cID=9&pID=237

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks