What's new

projection screen material...gesso (1 Viewer)

Jose Luis

Grip
I´ve seen some posts about painting a projection screen of black out material with "gesso".Could anybody explain me what kind of material is this...or if anybody knows the equivalen name in spanish so I can find it here in Spain?.Thank you.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am moving this thread to the Advanced/DIY area. I have know some others to make their screens and use this material as well.

Geno

Supporting Actor
FYI, "gesso" is like a primer that oil painters paint over thier canvases to get the oil paint to stick to it. Without gesso, over time, the oil paint will crack and peel off. It dries to a nice matte white finish. If applied smoothly [ie rolled on] I can see this working well. If you go to a local artist store, im sure you can get more info about it and some small containers to do some sample tests.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
They sell Gesso at Michael's stores found in many cities. A friend painted his blackout fabric with a white/gray pearlescent mix and it was a noticeable improvement. Use the gray sparingly -- while it improves blacks, it can reduce your color punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks