What's new

Progressive Scan DVD Player and a set with 3:2 Pulldown (1 Viewer)

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
It was a toss up as to where this post should go...so I picked this forum.

I have an Hatachi Ultravision 32" HDTV and use it mostly for watching my DVD's. My DVD player is a Pioneer 525. The TV produces some really great looking pictures from DVD, near film quality, when I have the TV in the Cinema mode and it is using the 3:2 pulldown feature.

My question is....since there are a number of progressive scan DVD players selling for $200 or less and most have the 3:2 pulldown feature...will I see any difference in the picture quality using a progressive scan player with 3:2 compared to my current set up. I know I will be eliminating a cycle of digital to analog conversion.....but will there be any noticeable change in picture quality that can be observed by the average viewer, or is the improvement something that only a observed using test equipment?

Thanks for any replies

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Some people notice the difference distinctly, some people don't.
If the HDTV ready TV scales the incoming 480p progressive scan to 1080i, so it doesn't have to adjust the scanning on the picture tube(s) to 480p, the extra digital to analog stage that is foregone when you use a progressive player is no longer foregone. This makes the distinction between de-interlacing in the player and de-interlacing in the TV harder to see.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks