What's new

Progressive Scan - Am I missing something? (1 Viewer)

TommyLov

Auditioning
Just bought a new progessive scan DVD player (Panasonic DVD-CP67). Hooked it up via component video to my projection television (Toshiba 55H70). Enabled progessive scan in the menu and on the unit. But aside from the black level being better, I can't really tell much difference between the progessive scan player and my old non-progressive player. The picture DOES look amazing; but it looked amazing before. So am I missing something here? What sort of differences am I supposed to be able to see? Is it just b/c my TV isn't widescreen?

TommyLov

Auditioning
Well, the progressive scan model was only $30 more than the interlace model. And one of the main reasons I wanted it was for the disc changer.

But thanks for the link. That was very helpful. I guess my TV is just better than I thought. :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Kevin. W,

That link was great! I've been tossing around the idea of getting a progressive scan player for months now, but I read (per your link) that since my TV has 'film' mode, I wouldn't probably benefit much from a progressive player.

I have a widescreen Mitsubishi rear-projection (WT-46809)
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/WT46809.html

Does anyone know for sure if this TV won't benefit much from a progressive scan player?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Tommy,

I'm not sure how much this factors into the equation, but your TV doesn't do the 16x9 squeeze to fully utilize the resolution of anamorphic DVDs. The necessary downconversion of such DVDs might negate much of any benefits of doing the deinterlacing on the player, especially if the TV has good deinterlacing.

If you really want a better DVD picture, you'll probably need to get a new TV.

FWIW, some people go into their service menu to manually tweak a 16x9 squeeze, but that's probably not recommendable, especially on an RPTV. Some also try upconverting the 480p DVD output to 1080i to recover most of that lost resolution. One of the HTF moderators do just this via his Samsung STB. Don't personally know how well either will work.

_Man_

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Tommy,

Man-Fai Wong is right. Since a 4x3 tv "squeezes" an anamorphic signal (basically cutting out some of the interlacing lines) you won't really see much difference. If you really notice any difference it will be with your 4x3 DVD's (i.e. TV shows) since they don't require any "squeezing".

TommyLov

Auditioning
Thanks for the info, guys. As I mentioned in my first post, I suspected it might be b/c I have a 4:3 TV. But at this point in time, buying a widescreen TV is not an option (I barely bought my current TV a year and a half ago). I'll still probably keep the DVD player anyway; it only cost $150 after rebates, so I think it's still a pretty good deal, even if I don't get much better vid quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks