What's new

Problems with Yamaha (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of gettign a Denon 2802, Onkyo 696 or Yamaha 1200/5490(same thing). I know the Denon has good quality, and Onkyos are pretty good, but how about Yamaha's? Anyone ever receive a defective Yammie? If so, what was the problem?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've owned 2 Yamaha recievers, both of which worked perfectly right out of the box. Neither ever malfunctionned in any way. Yamaha has a well-deserved reputation for building reliable equipment.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Yamaha is at the TOP in terms of reliability and/or build quality. Just ask Woodman at audioreview...he has serviced audio gear for 50 years.
That said, I haven't had a single problem in over 2 years with my DSP-A1 :)

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Kyle:

I have owned / do own the following:

* DSPA1 for my HT (sold last yr)

* 2 channel Stereo system for living room comprised of AX596 integrated stereo amp, 950 Tuner, 550EQ, DVS5270 DVD player, CDC765 CD changer

* RXV1 (to be hooked up some day soon, I hope)

As Yamaha is my favorite mid-fi audio electronics brand, I can honestly give you a double ditto to what Steve said.

Rich B.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Before I go on, let me say I use NHT SuperOne speakers. Being almost perfectly neutral (1dB variation from 22Khz to 57Hz) they are fairly revealing as to what is hooked up to them.
Anyway, I have owned one H/K (AVR20 MkII), one Sony, and two Yamaha components (795 and 2095).
The H/K was a dream... and I will probably go back to it one day - for the amps. They are just about a perfect match for the NHTs. I went to another receiver because I wanted DD, DTS, and more power. And I didn't like the H/K offerings at the time.
So I tried a Sony (I forget what). The Sony was a big PITB, except for speaker setup - it was a breeze. The amount of junk that thing picked up - or did not do - was incredible. It went back within a week or so. It was NOT an ES model - otherwise this may have ended differently.
The first Yamaha (795) I returned because of crosstalk between the tuner and other channels. I found it very annoying - I could switch to the next input over on teh display, and when cranking the speakers up, clearly distinguish the continuation of the dialog on the last radio station. :angry:
Went back within a week, too. Tried another 795, same issue. Almost gave up, but tried the 2095 (big step up, in price, too - at the time it was the "baby brother" to the DSP-A1). It worked like a charm, had all the power I could want (hah! but that is another story!), had what I thought were more than enough inputs (another hah! - and yet another story :D) and works well to this day.
So I would say that if you stay in the better ranges of Yamaha, you will be just fine...!
Mike

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yamaha is my favorite mid-fi brand, too. I have a DVD-S700 (second generation player), a TX-950 tuner (excellent piece if you can find one), and a DSP- A3090 (two generations old now). The DVD player had mixed reviews on audioreviw.com but it has performed flawlessly for me.

Before the 3090 I had a DSP-A2070 from 1993-99. Just before I retired it, the left front effects channel went out. However, our system gets used on a daily basis, since we watch TV more than anything else. We’re talking countless thousands of hours of use, so I can’t complain.

Unfortunately, the front main right speaker has gone out on the 3090. There is no output from the pre-amp. However, I suspect it has something to do with whatever shuts off the speakers when headphones are plugged in. That’s one of the last things I did before I noticed the problem. So, I expect it to be a cheap fix. Again, it’s already logged a few thousand hours of use, so I can’t complain. If I was shopping again, Yamaha is the first thing I would look at.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Agreed Mike, I believe the same could be said of the better ranges of the Denons and the Onkyos too.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I've had Yamaha amps for eight years now. My first Yamaha HT amp was an RXV-870, moving to a DSP-A3090 and then to my current DSP-A1. Never had a problem. I know several people who still use DSP-A2070s, and even one who still uses a DSP-A1000 (purchased circa 1991).

I wouldn't worry about the reliability of an RXV-1200; it should be at least as reliable as the equivalent Onkyos and Denons.

Adam

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I have the same setup as you. 2095 with the NHT S1's. Been enjoying the combo for some time now.

> (1dB variation from 22Khz to 57Hz) <

Was this published somewhere?

Thanks

Bob

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
you guys keep saying mid-fi for the yamaha's. i know some of their recievers are pretty nice and expensive as well. i was just wondering what would be classified as hi-fi?
oh yeah, i have the rx-v595 and rx-v1000, both have worked beautifully without problems. I love Yamaha. :)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I can certainly vouch for the Yamaha build quality and their ability to please.... I have owned 4 Yamaha receivers and about 2 months ago went from my beloved 2095 up to the RXV1 for my main HT system and I have a smaller Yamaha in the bedroom. I have set up several systems in the past few months and all were Yamaha receivers of some kind, from the 1000, 1200, 1105, etc.

Sure, there are several receivers out there that warrant a look and listen and the Yamahas should be on that list. Good luck and just buy what sounds good to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks