What's new

Problems with Dual Tuner and PIP (1 Viewer)

Mitch_T

Auditioning
I need some help please. I just spent all day connecting and running through my house, my 4th line on my Triple LNB Oval dish to go to my DVR to utilize my dual tuner and my picture in picture. I get everything hooked up and re-run the setup to enable the dual tuner and it all passes.

The tv is a sony 34" widescreen and it's PIP splits the screen into two equal boxes. Well, the box on the right is snow and the one on the left is normal. I can't change the input on the one on the right. I re-read the tv manual and it says the left box will be able to be viewed, but not in the right screen if I am using Video inputs 5, 6, 7 (Component, component and DVI), which I am using input 5, coming from my HT receiver, which is Monitor Out.

Now, I connected an S-video cable coming from the VCR/DVR connection on my HT receiver to Input 3 on my TV and now both channels show the same thing. I am using the S-video from my DVR to my HT receiver.

Not sure what I have to do to be able to use the PIP and be able to see two different channels.

Any help? I know this is kind of rushed, so if I left something important out, please let me know.

Thanks all.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
To watch different things on PIP, you need two independent sources. With satellite, that means two separate receivers. One receiver, even a dual tuner DVR, won't cut it, because they only have a single output & are showing one thing at a time (except for a few DVRs that do PIP internally).

You could do satellite + OTA (over-the-air) if you have an antenna appropriate for your location.

With a DVR, you might want to just forget about PIP. Just record everything, watch sequentially rather than interleaved. Or pause one, flip to the other, watch both shows in their entirety. Better than trying to watch two things simultaneously.

Mitch_T

Auditioning
Thanks for clearing things up Stephen, much appreciated.

Good tip too. Will have to start doing that instead.

Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just get a second DirecTivo. Between PiP and the tuner swap, you can watch 4 different programs at once!

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks