Wega, finally... but which?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff L, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L Auditioning

My decision comes down to these three Wega TVs,
    KV36FS13, KV36FS17 or the KV36FV27. I know the FS13 is the basic model but the price is right. The trouble I am having is trying to decide whether or not I need the features of the FS17 or the FV27. The speakers are not important to me because I always use my surround sound setup for sound. I am not sure if I will ever use PIP (please explain the benefits). Does PIP have any benefits when using TiVo, such as the easier ability to watch a different show than being recorded? Is this the case because of the dual tuners? If I will benefit from PIP, I can se myself going with the FS17 over the 13. The real problem is how to justify the price increase for the FV27. Is the 16:9 enhancement worth the difference? When will I notice the difference? Are there any other considerations I need to make? Am I looking at this all wrong? The new TV will be going into my new home, that's why price is so important to me right now. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

3. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    Check this site for further explanations to your questions
    Direct Link - http://www.geocities.com/chuckster042000/WegaFSFV.html
    Main Page
    http://www.geocities.com/chuckster042000/HTpage1.html
    Issues
    16x9 enhancement - available on all Wegas - definitely worth it - you will notice it on DVD's
    Speakers - you've stated sound is not a factor
    PIP -it seems that PIP is only your only issue right now
    The other difference is the Comb Filters - they are better on the FV, however an S Video connnection bypasses them
    Hope this helps - I have the 27FS12
    Take it easy

4. Jeff L

Jeff L Auditioning

Thank you both for the info. You have made me change my mind on the FV altogether. Now I guess I need to decide about the PIP. Will dual tuners do anything to improve TiVo as I asked in th original post? Otherwise, I probably don't need it. Thanks again!

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

you might want to check a sony outlet store if there is one close to you. My 32XBR450 was selling at CC for $2K the same time I picked mine up for $1049.

A friend picked up a 36XBR450 last week for $1200.

$1000 savings pays for lots of gas

6. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    Not knowing anything about Tivo's (other than i want one), i'm pretty sure the 'Recording one channel, while watching another' has nothing to do with PIP. I would guess that it is the same as the ability to record a TV show via a VCR, while watching another TV channel.
    PIP is for watching 2 channels simultaneously on the screen.
    Please doublecheck this - maybe post a separate thread asking for Tivo help.

7. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I'm debating this very question right now too! I had decided on the FV27 but decided that the auto 16:9 wasn't really that great of an advantage over the FS13's menu option 16:9 (I worried that it'd be burried 5 menus down, but its just 6 or 7 button presses, of which 4 or 5 are either "down" or "right" on the joystick). And since I'm going with DirecTV there is little point to getting PIP with the FS17.
    PIP won't affect Tivo because Tivo has its own tuner, if I'm understanding Tivo whatsoever... If you get a two-tuner PIP you'll have 3 tuners (two in the TV and one in the Tivo). You'll be able to watch two shows at once (or as a friend of mine used to do, play games on the big one and watch basketball in the PIP) if you go with the FS17.
    The FV-series has a better look to it, IMHO, and it's got a front S-Video port, which the FS's do not have.
    My decision was a FS13, but your mileage, of course, may vary.
    Also, if you have a Sears nearby, they'll pricematch "acceptable" internet prices. Depending on how they define "acceptable" you could get a very good deal (I haven't tried their policy out yet, just waiting for graduation and my new apartment).

8. CaysonE

CaysonE Extra

Do you have cable or satellite? If satellite, PIP won't do you any good, regardless of Tivo. You'd need a separate reciever to tune a different channel on the PIP window. If you're using a DirecTivo, you can get them w/ 2 tuners, but they only give you one output so you still can't split it to the PIP. PIP is great for cable though, 'specially for channel surfers. I have a DirecTivo now with a PIP enabled TV (Phillips, please don't crucify me [​IMG] )and honestly, since I made the switch from cable, I haven't missed PIP. The dual tuner Tivo more or less acts like one anyway, as I can pause what I'm watching and move on to something else on a different channel for a bit.
    While I don't have much experience w/ Wega sets, my buddy just got the $2500 36" unit, and loves it. The 16:9 enhancement works wonders. I would say skip the PIP.
    Cayson

9. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

I opted for the FS13. I set up the switch to Enhanced 16:9 Mode as a macro on my Sony VL900 remote, so that is a non-issue now. I don't regret not getting the PIP feature. We have TiVo now and don't do much channel surfing anymore.