What's new

Problem with Virtual Dub. (1 Viewer)

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm I'm trying to crop away a part of a video that I have. Applying the null filter then cropping the part away that I don't want is easy. After I resave the video, it's messed up when I view it. As the save is being performed and the preview is running, it looks fine.

The video was encoded with Divx low motion. I know that's a non-standard codec, so I thought that might have something to do with it?

Anyone know of a workaround or another program that can crop videos?

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I've never had any problems with Virtual Dub. Normal encoding process for me is (certain "steps" intentonally left out):

1. Encode into DivX format with (left intentionally blank)- generates a DivX video file (and an audio file in a digital format)
2. Use program (left intentionally blank) to convert from format XXX to WAV
3. Start Virtual Dub... open Video in "streaming" mode, then open WAV audio in "full processing mode." Then, set Virtual Dub to convert from WAV to MP3

Virtual Dub does a nice job of muxing the audio and video together... haven't had any problems yet. Note that this is for DivX 5 format. I still haven't been able to get XviD to encode properly (keeps access violating).

If you'd like to know more detailed steps (all of which are legal but will not post them here so that Forum rules are not broken) just email me in private.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If you just want to crop without re-encoding with a new codec just go to Video -> Direct Stream Copy, then Audio -> Direct Stream Copy. Then save it and see what happens.

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
The actual Divx looks fantastic. I've even got a great process down for syncing the audio. It's just the output that results after I try to crop it that's messed up.

I found a method for cropping in 'x-program', but it can only crop in increments of 16 pixels which invariably cuts off a little bit of good video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks