Problem with onkyo receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by HienD, Oct 7, 2003.

1. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I have a problem with my onkyo tx-sr600 receiver. The Sound coming out of the receiver is distorted or clipping some of the time at all volumes. It happens at the same points on the dvd/cd. It mostly happens during louder vocals or midrange frequencies/sounds. The sound is not as clean anymore and seem like some static has been added to the sound. The same dvd/cds plays fine on my parents system and my $1500 car stereo system.

Here are the thing I tested or done.
    -Tested on 2 different dvd players and my yamaha cd player.
    -Disconnected everything from the receiver leaving only 2 speaker and the cd players connected. This is using both anolog and optical output to the receiver as well.
    -Tested using different analog input as well and it does the same thing.
    -Used different set of speaker with the same result.
    -Test my speakers with my parents receiver and it's fine.
    -Headphones even suffers from this problem.
    -It's also distorted with the 3 surround speakers in all channel stereo mode.
    -Have tried all the surround, dsp and direct modes with same results.
    -Tried reseting speaker level and intellivolume to 0

Anybody here know what could be wrong. The receiver was sent out to the service depot and is gonna take 3-4 weeks. I just wanted to know what I should say when they find nothing wrong with it. There is diffinitely something wrong with it. Thanks

2. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

Could be that the receiver is not grounded correctly, that would cause it to clip when playing music.

Does it have a manual ground plug or point at the back? I've had a reciever that worked for about 5mins then became all distorted and clipped, this was grounding I had to actually get it repaired.

Hope this helps!

3. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

There no ground plug or point in the back. Only the sr700 and up has one. Could it still be a grounding issue? I have a good surge protector that tests the inlets for me and it registers fine. I only have 3 thing pluged it this surge, receiver, cd player and ps2. It just started doing this a few weeks ago.(I've had the receiver for 4 months now) So I wonder what it could be?